BYO guitar Baritone Conversion neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYO guitar Baritone Conversion neck

Does anyone have any experience with the BYO guitars baritone conversion necks? I have a Jazzmaster copy that I would like to put one of these one. How’s the build quality on these?

I actually have a similar question about their necks...any good?

I can't find a single review of their "custom shop" parts offerings, just their kits.

OP, did you see Fender is selling replacement Baritone necks now? Pretty much bolt-on-and-go, already finished and everything. Great for the price.

Here are couple links:

Maple: https://www.ebay.com/itm/36347631848...YAAOSwPS1g-EFB

Pau Ferro: https://www.ebay.com/itm/36349231274...IAAOSw30lhCamd

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
      I actually have a similar question about their necks...any good?

I can't find a single review of their "custom shop" parts offerings, just their kits.

OP, did you see Fender is selling replacement Baritone necks now? Pretty much bolt-on-and-go, already finished and everything. Great for the price.
      That’s exactly what I was wondering. I also can’t find anything about the custom shop offerings, but I’ve seen somewhat mixed things about the lots they sell.
      I have seen the Fender necks, I like that the BYO necks have 24 frets, however, the ones Fender is selling is almost the same price as one I would order from BYO, plus I wouldn’t have to do any finishing work. Decisions decisions haha.

Comment

IDK about you, but NOT having to finish is a big deal to me. I'm going to cop a Fender neck for one of my Teles.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
          IDK about you, but NOT having to finish is a big deal to me. I'm going to cop a Fender neck for one of my Teles.
          I agree with you about the finishing thing. I was looking into it and it seems like an art form in and of itself. I was looking at some of the ones Warmoth has in stock and I can pick one up to my specs for a little more than the Fender

Comment

Depending on how "factory" you want it to look, Tru Oil is a great finish for most of us DIY'ers

Comment

Depending on how "factory" you want it to look, Tru Oil is a great finish for most of us DIY'ers
              I’m not too worried about it looking factory. Just so long as the finish protects the wood. I’m also trying to go for a satin finish. I don’t really care for the feel of really high gloss necks.
              How exactly would I apply a Tru oil finish? I was looking into the wipe on satin poly from min wax and that looked promising.

Comment

For necks, I typically apply TruOil in thin coats every 2-3 hours over the course of a full day, assuming a relatively dry and warm environment. I typically do a very light sanding every 2 coats or so and end up with 7-8 coats total on a neck, which yields a totally smooth finish with a light gloss. If I want it really glossy, I'll add another couple coats. I'm done finishing a neck in a day or 2 at most. I then let the neck cure for at least a week, preferably two, before I do anything else with it.

TruOil is easy to wipe on and smooth out with a clean piece of cloth or the thicker paper towels like they sell at auto parts stores. I've also used my fingers to hand-rub the layers and had very good results, but the rag/cloth approach is faster and easier, especially if you're working with a maple fretboard.

Many people online suggest wiping TruOil on, leaving it for just a minute, and wiping the excess off right away, but this is really only ideal if you're trying to seal the wood with the least finish possible. Unfortunately, such a thin finish doesn't protect the wood from play wear very well and typically requires that you apply a finishing wax for additional protection and then redo the process every year or two to keep the neck looking nice. The "wipe on, wipe off" guys looking for a thicker finish often end up putting on dozens of coats, which is just a waste of time and effort considering how well TruOil smooths out and levels on its own.

You can build TruOil up easily and then scuff, sand or burnish it for an incredibly smooth satin finish. I've done this and the end result is glorious, easily the nicest "feeling" neck I've had. Overall, it's fairly forgiving as a finish and you can always add more coats if you overdo the sanding.

Here's a Warmoth neck I just finished in TruOil last week. I'll probably burnish the back to bring it to a semi-satin finish, but it already feels great as-is:

Comment

Well, I just placed an order for 2 identical, quarter-sawn maple CBS Strat necks with stainless frets and black block inlays from the BYO Guitar custom shop.

Wait time is currently 6-7 weeks.

The ladies handling emails were quick to answer all of my questions and they had exactly the options I wanted at a really reasonable price.

I'm a little anxious, being used to Warmoth, Musikraft, etc., but they were very helpful and they claim their stuff is on par with the competition, so we'll see!

Comment

Masta C, let me know what you think of the necks when you get them. I’m glad that you’re willing to be the test subject for this haha.
                    I had a question regarding finishing with the tru oil, how much of the tru oil do you use per coat? Is there a measured amount, or do you just go by feel with it?

Comment

No measured amount, you can just sort of tell how much you're putting down as you do it. I add a few drops to the rag, wipe a few inches of the neck, add a few more drops, blend into the previous area and do a few more inches, etc. until I finish the length of the neck. Sometimes I put drops directly on the neck and use the rag to spread it around, especially if I want to build an area up.

I like to put a fairly slick layer down for each coat, but not so much that it will run. One good coat takes just a few minutes once you get going.

By the way, I keep the tip of the rag that I'm "rubbing" the finish on with fairly saturated with TruOil throughout the process. As the coat thins out, you'll feel the rag start to drag and that's a sign that you need to add a few more drops of oil. As I finish a layer, I like the oiled tip of the rag to glide fairly effortlessly across the treated surface.

Comment

No measured amount, you can just sort of tell how much you're putting down as you do it. I add a few drops to the rag, wipe a few inches of the neck, add a few more drops, blend into the previous area and do a few more inches, etc. until I finish the length of the neck. Sometimes I put drops directly on the neck and use the rag to spread it around, especially if I want to build an area up.

I like to put a fairly slick layer down for each coat, but not so much that it will run. One good coat takes just a few minutes once you get going.

By the way, I keep the tip of the rag that I'm "rubbing" the finish on with fairly saturated with TruOil throughout the process. As the coat thins out, you'll feel the rag start to drag and that's a sign that you need to add a few more drops of oil. As I finish a layer, I like the oiled tip of the rag to glide fairly effortlessly across the treated surface.
                        Can one use waterslide decals wtih tru oil?
                        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Masta C, I know that the necks you ordered have a 6-7 week lead time, but please keep me posted on what you think of them. I’m curious to hear your take. You’ve helped me out on a bunch of other threads and I really appreciate it

Comment

Of course! I try to help whenever I can

I'll definitely post my thoughts and some pics once the necks come in.

Comment

Working...
                              X