banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graph tec String saver saddles and a lack of harmonics an sustain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graph tec String saver saddles and a lack of harmonics an sustain?

My Purple quilt Carvin DC 127 has a factory set of Graphtec saddles. I notice that 2 are cracked where the intonation screw is and also the guitar lacks sustain and sounds duller than my other Carvins.
    She is a maple neck through alder body wings with the Quilt top but sounds much duller and lacks the sustain of my other similar Carvins. Guitar plays great and is stunning to look at but just lacks something in harmonics and sustain. I'm wondering if those saddles are a major factor in this? Have to replace at least 2 so?? Anybody have any experience with the graphtec full graphite saddles? These were an option from Carvin so are likely the originals but are the first of these I have owned.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Whatever effect they have on tone is something I've always liked. I suppose it is more mellow than bent steel saddles, but it isn't night and day. My guess is that the issues with the Carvin can't be put down to just those. It is easy enough to swap out saddles on the next string change to find out, though.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Just those two strings lack harmonics and sustain? Or all the strings?
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Whatever effect they have on tone is something I've always liked. I suppose it is more mellow than bent steel saddles, but it isn't night and day. My guess is that the issues with the Carvin can't be put down to just those. It is easy enough to swap out saddles on the next string change to find out, though.
        Carvin used a solid machined steel saddle for these bridges not the fender style bent sheet metal saddle. The Graphtec saddles were a factory option on these. Never owned a guitar with them and have to replace at least 2 of these due to the cracks so wondering if others had swapped conventional saddles with the graphtecs and saw a loss of sustain and harmonics. My old KOA DC has the same bridge and it has more harmonics and sustain so? Just caught the cracks when i did maintenance on the guitar 2 saddles are cracked from the top into the screw hole for intonation so have to be replaced.That in itself may be killing some sustain and harmonics. Guitar plays like a dream just lacks a little something in the harmonics and doesn't have the sustain like my other hardtail Carvin Kiesels do.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
          Just those two strings lack harmonics and sustain? Or all the strings?
          It's overall. It's not bad but also not like my other similar guitars. Plays great looks are stunning but lacks a little tonally.
          Guitars

Comment

It's this guitar.
            Guitars

Comment

I used to do half graph tech (top 3) and half stock for a while. It does mellow the tone a bit, I would not say it kills harmonics but maybe some overtones are softer and it gives the feeling of more warmth/mids.

Comment

Cracked parts are an obvious problem. Can you replace the broken parts?
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Yeah, it’s gotta be those saddles.
                  I put a set in my LP and I love them. I can’t say enough good about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                    My Purple quilt Carvin DC 127 has a factory set of Graphtec saddles. I notice that 2 are cracked where the intonation screw is and also the guitar lacks sustain and sounds duller than my other Carvins.
                    She is a maple neck through alder body wings with the Quilt top but sounds much duller and lacks the sustain of my other similar Carvins. Guitar plays great and is stunning to look at but just lacks something in harmonics and sustain. I'm wondering if those saddles are a major factor in this? Have to replace at least 2 so?? Anybody have any experience with the graphtec full graphite saddles? These were an option from Carvin so are likely the originals but are the first of these I have owned.
                    I use Graphtec nut and saddles on my A and B guitar for gigs.... it has a slight what I consider mellowing of harsher bright string attack transients which makes for a pleasant very subtle effect in my experience, if there is any effects on the harmonics I wouldn't know because I went to NYXL strings at the same time which are very bright and have pronounce harmonics -so perhaps my string setup have hid that if it exists.

My purpose for using them originally was doing a lot of traveling with a guitar for gigs and the Graphtec product really does mitigate a lot of humidity, pressure intonation issues.... I've flown 10 hours before and my guitar was perfectly in tune when we landed -really can't say that about any other guitars I've had or have.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I definitely noticed a mellower sound when I used graph tech saddles. I prefer steel for this reason. There are also rough steel saddles which have a bit of a mellowing effect but not as pronounced.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                        Cracked parts are an obvious problem. Can you replace the broken parts?
                        Yes could replace the cracked saddles alone. Before I order them wanted to get some info on what others had seen in tonal differences that had used the Graphtec saddles to replace regular saddles.
                        Last edited by Ascension; 09-09-2021, 02:59 PM.
                        Guitars

Comment

There is a little softer sound, but it is a sound I've always really liked. I wouldn't say the change is radical, but I guess it might be for some people.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

it may be cheaper and better to just get the same type saddles that are on the other Carvins that you know you like

why got through the hassle of doing twice

say you change the damaged ones
                            and still dont like the mellow sound that everyone agrees it imparts

you know you like the sound of the other Carvins with out those saddles
                            just put those on and be done

intonation is a fiddly business
                            why put yourself through that twice
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I Consider the tone change from the Graphtech to be a desirable thing.
                              And it’s really a minute change.

Comment

Working...
                              X