banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graph tec String saver saddles and a lack of harmonics an sustain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracking saddles to me would indicate cheap pot metal material.

And cheap pot metal does not transfer vibrations as well as say steel.

That's my theory anyways.

Comment

And seems like Graphtec String Saver saddles save your string, but not the saddle (or tone).

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
        Cracking saddles to me would indicate cheap pot metal material.

And cheap pot metal does not transfer vibrations as well as say steel.

That's my theory anyways.
        You realize that Graphtech saddles arent metal at all
        right?
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I must be the only one to find that they made the guitars that I put them on brighter and with more harmonics.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            I must be the only one to find that they made the guitars that I put them on brighter and with more harmonics.

Wow! Must have been some pretty bad saddles that you replaced.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

You realize that Graphtech saddles arent metal at all
              right?
              https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...6-inch-spacing

Special metallurgical recipe reduces broken strings

and these metal blocks have a little strip where the string sits:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tainless-steel

Stainless steel saddles with String Saver insert to reduce breakage and enhance tuning stability
              So yeah, there's metal in both styles.

Comment

hmm
                I would have thought (without that metallurgical reference) that they were the same material as the nuts, string trees, acoustic bridges, etc...
                hmmm

touche
                EHD

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Wow! Must have been some pretty bad saddles that you replaced.
                  Maybe so.

Comment

These saddles are a composite material not metal. I sent graphtec an email on the issue and they have responded back. They think some one ether cross threaded the saddles after disassembling the bridge or adjusted the intonation with the saddle under full string tension cracking the saddles. I suspect it was the latter and evidently adjusting intonation under full string tension is not a great idea with these composite saddles. They have been really cool and offered a discount if I wanted a replacement set from them fully knowing I bought the guitar used with the saddles on it. Impressive CS from them and they now have my respect for it!
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                      The saddles are a composite material not metal. I sent graphtec an email on the issue and they have responded back. They think ether some one ether cross threaded the saddles after disassembling the bridge or adjusted the intonation with the saddle under full string tension cracking the saddles. I suspect it was the latter and evidently adjusting intonation under full string tension is not a great idea with these composite saddles. They have been really cool and offered a discount if I wanted a replacement set from them fully knowing I bought the guitar used with the saddles on it. Impressive CS from them and they now have my respect for it!
                      I've only had good experiences with GT customer service. Happy they are doing the right thing.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

hmm
                        I would have thought (without that metallurgical reference) that they were the same material as the nuts, string trees, acoustic bridges, etc...
                        hmmm

touche
                        They have two separate saddle lines. A full composite saddle and a stainless classic series that has the slippery material just where the string rides on the saddle. I have the solid composite saddles on my guitar.
                        Last edited by Ascension; 09-14-2021, 06:01 PM.
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I've only had good experiences with GT customer service. Happy they are doing the right thing.
                          Was impressed at the quick response and very surprised at the offer of a discount from them. Will remember that as it's rare to see now days !
                          Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

They have two separate saddle lines. A full composite saddle and a stainless classic series that has the slippery material just where the string rides on the saddle. I have the solid composite saddles on my guitar.
                            This is what i understood
                            same material as the nuts and stuff?
                            EHD

Comment

This is what i understood
                              same material as the nuts and stuff?
                              With the set of saddles on my guitar yes they are made from the same material as the nuts.
                              Guitars

Comment

Working...
                              X