Replacement Pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Pots

Playing my '77 Ibanez LP yesterday, I noticed that the pots are becoming quite scratchy, and in some cases, cutting out completely in certain positions. Being (maybe) third in line as far as owning the guitar goes, I'm guessing that the pots must be pretty old by now.

Looking at the back of the pickups when I bought it, I took note that the originals had been replaced with a JB/Jazz set.

There's probably no reason to match any particular pots with the pickup set, but I thought I'd ask around first - would CTS standard pots suit this instance, or should I go for something a bit more "upmarket"?

I have the full sized linear or B pots in my JB/JAZZ guitars. And i have several LPs with that set

What i have noticed is that with the 500k A or audio taper volumes, i can get a nice overdrive with the volume full up and it cleans up with the volume rolls off about a quarter turn.

All of mine are 500k with 500k tone pots where i have tone pots

The smaller ones dont seem to make much difference at all. Just pay attention to the taper
    A for audio or logarithmic
    B for linear
    And i just learned about an hour ago
    There's a C that has some weird taper
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
      The smaller ones dont seem to make much difference at all. Just pay attention to the taper
      A for audio or logarithmic
      B for linear
      And i just learned about an hour ago
      There's a C that has some weird taper
      I think C is the reverse taper for left handed controls, which it should be in this situation, as it is a left handed guitar. I also have to pay attention to the posts, so I can keep the original control knobs. I'd hate to have to put speed knobs on.

Comment

DeOxit
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

If the pots are not overused, I get best results with two shots of deoxit.
          I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Deoxit seems like a good option, at first. BUT...if the pots are old, there could be a lot of wear in addition to contaminate or oxide coating. The Deoxit is way more expensive than a couple new pots, so WHY? Man, pots are relatively cheap so just replace them and don't take any chances.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

deoxit. replacing a scratchy pot? one can of deoxit will last a long time. throwing out a scratchy pot seems really wasteful.

Comment

I've been playing guitar for over 60 years and have had very few pots get scratchy. Even if a can of deoxit would last 200 years it's still not a very good value to me if it cost more than what the replacement pots cost. For someone in the business of repairing and rewiring guitars all day long, it would probably be a very good investment.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  I've been playing guitar for over 60 years and have had very few pots get scratchy. Even if a can of deoxit would last 200 years it's still not a very good value to me if it cost more than what the replacement pots cost. For someone in the business of repairing and rewiring guitars all day long, it would probably be a very good investment.
                  in your perspective
                  as a repairer of instruments,
                  your view is valid

time is money and the deoxit may or may not work, dont want the customer bringing it back saying you charged him and didnt repair it
                  valid

these are business decisions that get made every day

but the majority of players are not daily industry luthiers
                  and may want to keep the vintage stuff in the instrument
                  and doosing it out with a spray is way easier than changing a pot
                  for someone who doesnt do it every day

there are many sides to each coin
                  not just heads
                  EHD

Comment

When I replace the pots, I'll be getting somebody else to do it. I don't have the space at the moment to do it myself. While I'm sure DeOxit or whatever is good to have, I don't think it's the solution for this guitar, but definitely a consideration for my other, much newer, guitars.

Comment

Regular garden variety pots will be fine.
                      People occasionally find the JB too bright for their taste, often in 25½" scale guitars but sometimes in LP types too.
                      Sometimes replacing a 500K volume pot with a 250K mellows the character nicely.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                        Regular garden variety pots will be fine.
                        People occasionally find the JB too bright for their taste, often in 25½" scale guitars but sometimes in LP types too.
                        Sometimes replacing a 500K volume pot with a 250K mellows the character nicely.
                        I think they're 250's and the level is fine to me, it will definitely be a straight K for K swap.

Comment

All of mine are 500k

jb is very particular in where it wants to be under the strings

find the sweet spot and its 80s metal all day
                          EHD

Comment

Working...
                          X