NGD! 1987 Charvel Model 5!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD! 1987 Charvel Model 5!

Hello! Long time no talk! Hope you've all been well, I got a new guitar today, first time in a while!

Link to picture of guitar: https://ibb.co/wsp5g06

Got myself this really cool Charvel Model 5! I was wondering what my bridge swap options are however since the JT6 is just not good.. Looking to swap without having to drill or whatever. Just easy swap. Heard OFR or GE1996T are my 2 main options, is this true?

Also sorry about the picture, it isn't letting me upload one directly!

Guitars: Kiesel Bolt Classic, Strandberg Boden Standard 7, Jackson DXMG (Japan) & Charvel Model 5.

Amps: Marshall 1959slp & Peavey 5150 (Block Letter)

Congrats on the NGD. What is it you dont like from the current pus or want from new on pus. Also help if we knew what type of music do you listen to and play?

Are those active or passive or active pickups in rhe guitar. You should be able to swap in any pickup of the same variety you wish

1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

What an awesome guitar! Congrats!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Nice axe - aged white is hard to beat!

Regarding the bridge, yes, OFR/Schaller Lockmeister (or original Schaller, which looks like your stock one) or GE1996T should drop in. All are good, the main difference would be the radius - Gotoh is 14" while Floyd/Schaller is 10" (12" with preinstalled shims), so check your fingerboard radius. The Gotoh is also a bit cheaper and more forgiving about stud spacing because the straight knife edge is fairly wide, though 74mm is usual for most locking trems.
        Last edited by Ashurbanipal; 09-16-2021, 06:20 AM.
        Originally posted by dominus
        Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Is that third knob an active mid-boost? My old RR-professional had it and I ended up leaving it in when swapping to the emg81 bridge. Together they were a bit noisy but the gain was mega.

Is the nut one of those weird ones with the lockers actually behind the nut? If so I'm suggesting to leave it alone if it doesn't bother you. I've seen them modded well to standard design, but I've also seen them done very poorly.

Comment

I could rock that!
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
              Is that third knob an active mid-boost? My old RR-professional had it and I ended up leaving it in when swapping to the emg81 bridge. Together they were a bit noisy but the gain was mega.

Is the nut one of those weird ones with the lockers actually behind the nut? If so I'm suggesting to leave it alone if it doesn't bother you. I've seen them modded well to standard design, but I've also seen them done very poorly.
              I'm not sure, I haven't had time to actually test it yet since it acme to me very dirty so I spent the better part of yesterday cleaning it. Also for the nut, it just seems like a normal locking nut on most guitars seen today with a floyd.
              Guitars: Kiesel Bolt Classic, Strandberg Boden Standard 7, Jackson DXMG (Japan) & Charvel Model 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                Congrats on the NGD. What is it you dont like from the current pus or want from new on pus. Also help if we knew what type of music do you listen to and play?

Are those active or passive or active pickups in rhe guitar. You should be able to swap in any pickup of the same variety you wish
                They are active, plan on eventually swapping in EMGs, but I was asking about the actual floyd style bridge, not the bridge pickup haha

Comment

Originally posted by NjuiMusic View Post

They are active, plan on eventually swapping in EMGs, but I was asking about the actual floyd style bridge, not the bridge pickup haha
                  Oops, sleep deprivation does things like that toba person
                  1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                  Jackson Soloist 7 string
                  ESP LTD M-400
                  Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

OK, so if it's stock it should have the active mid-boost controlled by that 3rd knob, and it also looks like the lockers are behind the nut unless it's been modded standard.

https://www.axebition.com/electric-g...harvel-model-5

edit; And also cool on these, like my old 88 orange-crackle neck-thru, they have a back-angled neck-thru design and the top-mount bridge.
                    I've always considered the neck's angle to be an advantage like on the typical set-neck guitars, like an LP with a floyd.
                    Last edited by dave74; 09-16-2021, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Love my 87' model # 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                        Nice axe - aged white is hard to beat!

Regarding the bridge, yes, OFR/Schaller Lockmeister (or original Schaller, which looks like your stock one) or GE1996T should drop in. All are good, the main difference would be the radius - Gotoh is 14" while Floyd/Schaller is 10" (12" with preinstalled shims), so check your fingerboard radius. The Gotoh is also a bit cheaper and more forgiving about stud spacing because the straight knife edge is fairly wide, though 74mm is usual for most locking trems.
                        Would go to the Gotoh as would be a drop in system and IMO they are the best of the current Floyd variants. A real Floyd would be a second choice but you may run into issues of the post spacing. I would stay far away from from the Schaller unless it's an actual real Floyd. I despise the thick base plate Schallers as have fought with them on both Washburn USA guitars and 1990's Carvins for years IMO they are utter JUNK!
                        Those are some really cool guitars and it's been a while since I have seen a nice one congrats!
                        Last edited by Ascension; 09-19-2021, 08:08 PM.
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

The GE1996T studs are wider and slightly longer than the Jackson or the FR trems, drilling is required.

Comment

If the op is going to upgrade the studs/inserts to Gotoh ones, then yes, drilling will be necessary. Because of their length, I would do some measuring to make sure they don't end up poking through to the spring cavity at the back.

Gotoh studs are locking, they have a small set screw in the middle which you screw down when you've set up your action, and it locks against the insert base. As said above, there is consensus among folk that this is one of the best out there, certainly people like John Suhr think so - he switched from OFR to Gotoh years ago on his guitars.
                            Originally posted by dominus
                            Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Yep, the Gotoh studs locking system is in itself a fine example of clever engineering. I have this trem in 2 of my guitars: a MIM Jackson DK2 and an Indonesian made ESP LTD M200, both recessed so I'm thinking it should work perfectly fine in a top mount Charvel. Afaik the latest MIJ Jackson Dinkys are also coming with the Gotoh GE1996T from the factory.

Comment

Working...
                              X