X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angled bridge humbucker in a strat.

Hello all.

Quick question:

Does an angled humbucker fit in the bridge position of a HSH routed strat, or do I need to route out some wood? Would one fit in a swimming pool routed strat?

Thanks in advance.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Depends on the angle.

Comment

And the route.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If you are talking about an EVH-style angle, you are gonna need to take out some wood.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You will need to route out some wood in HSH route. Swimming pool route would not require any removal because you could pretty much do any pick up configuration you want there.

Comment

Some Strats have a "Bathtub" route where it would work. Not on on Fender, or which Fenders would be like that.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I think some of the lower end Squiers have the swimming pool (or bathtub) route. My Classic Vibe is HSH.
              I bet looking at stripped Strat bodies on Stratosphere would yield some info.

Comment

I have a Squier Standard that has a swimming pool route. Oddly enough, the control cavity route is too shallow for a push/pull pot. I'll try the angle humbucker there first. I may try it in my MIJ Floyd Rose Strat as well. I think the previous owner may have mangled the pickup cavity enough for it to fit.

Comment

If you're looking to have the push/pull to split it, look at the CTS pots on Stew-Mac's site. Much better than the Alpha brand and great for shallow control cavities. My Les Paul came stock with 2 of the SPST pots to split each pickup. That's all you need really.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                    If you're looking to have the push/pull to split it, look at the CTS pots on Stew-Mac's site. Much better than the Alpha brand and great for shallow control cavities. My Les Paul came stock with 2 of the SPST pots to split each pickup. That's all you need really.

https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/...pull-pots-spst
                    Nice. I plan on using one pot the split the humbucker and using a Texas Special at the neck (HS pickguard).

Comment

Ok, so, just responding in case anyone is searching for this info in the future.

My MIA, MIJ, and MIM strats all cannot accept an angled 'bucker at the bridge with the stock HSH routs. I do have a Squier Standard Strat that has a quasi-swimming pool route that was able to take an angled humbucker at the bridge. It now sports a PG+ and a Tex-Mex with a three way and volume/tone controls.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Comment

That is one unique Strat!
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks! It's a fun one. Pretty light with a speedy neck.

Comment

There ya go. Looks sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                              There ya go. Looks sweet.
                              Thanks! I'm really digging the sounds this set up gets. I've had Nashville style teles and Gibson style guitars with a humbucker in the bridge and a P90 in the neck, but the HS set up does something else entirely.

Comment

Working...
                              X