X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitors

Hello all.

Where do you guys get your caps?

I mainly like Orange Drops, but I'll use pretty much anything that sounds good.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Anyplace that sells electronics. Small Bear Electronics is my go-to source if I need to order online but I try to go to local electronics stores if possible.

Comment

The good news is if you're open to using anything that sounds good, all capacitors that measure the same value sound exactly the same when used in a regular guitar tone circuit. No reason to spend more than five cents.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

get these and explore the differences in values

Frienda 840 Pieces 24 Types 50V Ceramic Capacitor Assortment Kit

EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Imagine my surprise when I found out my Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro has .022uf ceramic disk caps. Nah, I wasn't really surprised at all to be honest.

The only reason those big caps were used back in the day was due to availability. On, we're out of the little caps, let's use this one that's the same value from the amp stock.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            get these and explore the differences in values

Frienda 840 Pieces 24 Types 50V Ceramic Capacitor Assortment Kit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089W1K4YS
            All of those, aside from .1uf, are larger in value than what would be used in a guitar's passive tone circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              The good news is if you're open to using anything that sounds good, all capacitors that measure the same value sound exactly the same when used in a regular guitar tone circuit. No reason to spend more than five cents.
              PIO tend to drift to higher values over the years though and people don't like ceramic caps for some reason.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

PIO tend to drift to higher values over the years though and people don't like ceramic caps for some reason.
                Yep. If you want that old paper in oil "sound" pick a bigger capacitor. Still shouldn't cost more than about five cents.

Ceramic caps usually don't look as pretty as the other types (I mean c'mon . . . matte orange? Yuck) and looks matter a lot more than some folks like to admit.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  When I tested this, this was mostly true, except for the bottom of the barrel cheap-o ceramic caps. They do not measure a consistent value over real-time measurements. It seems to result in a murky, less-clear audio signal.

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                  Imagine my surprise when I found out my Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro has .022uf ceramic disk caps. Nah, I wasn't really surprised at all to be honest.

The only reason those big caps were used back in the day was due to availability. On, we're out of the little caps, let's use this one that's the same value from the amp stock.
                  Well, the flat discs do fit in control cavities easier than barrel-sized 'bee' types.

Comment

the point is you can purchase over 800 caps for less than $10

and you can get an assortment

I would suggest an assortment and try several sizes

get a box of resistors and and a box of caps
                    and build something interesting
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

So there's no difference between ceramic and polyester caps when it comes to sound?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                        So there's no difference between ceramic and polyester caps when it comes to sound?
                        If there is, I can't hear it. Does anyone have ideas on what are the most accurate compared to the stated values?
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

If there is, I can't hear it. Does anyone have ideas on what are the most accurate compared to the stated values?
                          I started using Orange Drops because they were pretty accurate way back when and I thought I heard a bit smoother roll off when playing through full range/high fidelity amps. It may all have been in my head, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

All the variants I tested were within 5% tolerance of stated values. IME material/construction doesn't change the sound. Just the value, and quality of the construction - e.g. the cheapest ceramic caps seemed to 'leak' or not 'discharge' consistently (when I tried to measure them, the meter never settled on a value), so they did make the resulting audio a bit murky. All the rest were consistent in sound as long as the values were close.

I tested Sprague Orange Drops, Black Bees, Vitamin Q PIO, Fender polypropylene, cheap ceramic, mylar roll, and generic polypropylene.

This is one of my test boxes (can't embed images):

Last edited by beaubrummels; 09-20-2021, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                              There is. It's up to you if you want to spend a few bucks more for a small difference, but it's significant enough to be audible over a recording, youtube, and laptop speakers.

The part after 7:40

The things that you wanted
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X