X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
    I added a preamp to my Epiphone Hummingbird Artist model
    simple enough no need to put knobs on the soundboard
    My J45 and my D18 both have controls in the center sound hole and no other holes in the soundboard. I really like the fact they're so unobtrusive and easily accessible

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post

My J45 and my D18 both have controls in the center sound hole and no other holes in the soundboard. I really like the fact they're so unobtrusive and easily accessible
      This is the way I like the controls, too.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hollow body electrics have way thicker tops than acoustic guitars, so that’s not really a great comparison. They’re also typically made of laminated wood.

Also, if you’re talking about altering the plugged in tone of an acoustic guitar, it probably won’t matter. Most of what you’re hearing with that is the piezo pickup and the preamp.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

The plugged in sound has a lot to do with the limitations of typical piezo systems, and less-than-full-range amplification systems.
          I would have to take an acoustic guitar, play it in a quite room, then install pots & knobs, and repeal the experiment. Would I hear a difference? Would I remember what the non-holed version sounded like?
          Acoustic instrument builders are pretty crazy about their bracing patterns, believing that any alteration in the soundboard can affect the tone. I don't have that kind of fidelity in my hearing, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            The plugged in sound has a lot to do with the limitations of typical piezo systems, and less-than-full-range amplification systems.
            I would have to take an acoustic guitar, play it in a quite room, then install pots & knobs, and repeal the experiment. Would I hear a difference? Would I remember what the non-holed version sounded like?
            Acoustic instrument builders are pretty crazy about their bracing patterns, believing that any alteration in the soundboard can affect the tone. I don't have that kind of fidelity in my hearing, though.
            I'm almost sure you would notice a difference in that situation. I swapped the tuning machines on a classical guitar many years ago. I remember distinctly hearing a difference in tone, probably due to one set being heavier than the other.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I am always surprised when I hear a difference in these situations.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                A long time ago I installed a sound-hole pup to an acoustic and put a volume pot and a tone pot on the sound board. I didn't notice any difference in tone at all. A few years ago I removed the pup and pots leaving the two holes in the soundboard. I didn't notice any difference in tone at all.

Was there actually a difference? Enough to be measured by some sensitive equipment? Maybe. I don't know. And I don't care because I couldn't hear any difference, and that's what matters.
                So it didn’t sound like a laminated top at least?

Comment

Working...
                X