Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning up the *back* of a neck.

Hello all.

I'm still putzing around with my MIJ Floyd Rose Strat. It's a fun guitar for sure, but I'm starting to worry about the back of rhe neck. The finish on this guitar looks extremely similar to my other MIJ Fenders for the moat part, but I think that the previous owner tried to sand/steel wool the back of the neck on this guitar. It feels *ok* (I'm not used tot naked maple necks) but I worry that the gunk on my hands will collect in the pores of the wood and possibly damage/deteriorate the neck.

Should I apply some kind of finish? How should I go about this. I've seen Mincer recommend gun stock wax for maple necks and this interests me. Should I try to remove some of the gunk on the back of the neck before applying? If I do, how would I go about cleaning it up?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Last edited by Benjy_26; 09-24-2021, 12:04 PM.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

honestly i wouldnt worry about it, but if you wanna put any finish on you wanna clean the back of the neck first

Comment

You can use Murphy's Oil Soap to clean the neck, and then rub on Gunstock wax, like Music Man does. You have to do it every year, but the feel is worth it.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        You can use Murphy's Oil Soap to clean the neck, and then rub on Gunstock wax, like Music Man does. You have to do it every year, but the feel is worth it.
        I just might do that. I realize that this guitar wasn't exactly babied by whoever had it before me, but having it be this beat sort of bothers me.

Comment

Gun wax feels great under your hand. I love the MusicMan necks that are done with oil & wax.

If you really want an actual finish you could spray it with matte clearcoat (or gloss, if you prefer).
          In that case, you'll want clean it well with acetone first, to get any gunk and oils off.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Scotchbrite the crap out of the neck to get the finger funk off, and then wipe with TruOil, Watco Oil, or something similar. Follow the directions on the bottle. I assume you know how to operate a rag?
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

While the fretboard is a crap magnet, the back of the neck doesn't attract enough gunk for there to be a problem. Just play it and enjoy.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                Scotchbrite the crap out of the neck to get the finger funk off, and then wipe with TruOil, Watco Oil, or something similar. Follow the directions on the bottle. I assume you know how to operate a rag?
                I have a Master's in Ragology, Sir.

Comment

Don’t worry about it. Just give it a wipe after you play it. Guitars are meant to be played, not babied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a really light coat of tung oil, then Burt’s Beeswax. The result is just like the Music Man necks, and feels awesome.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                      I use a really light coat of tung oil, then Burt’s Beeswax. The result is just like the Music Man necks, and feels awesome.
                      Burt's Beeswax? Like the stuff folks put on their lips?

Comment

The wood being exposed and getting dirty won't hurt anything. But if you want to make it look and feel nice you can rough sand through the dirt and what looks like the oil finish with sandpaper or scotch brite. That will get you to clean wood and then you can fine sand it and then apply your oil.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post

Burt's Beeswax? Like the stuff folks put on their lips?
                          Oops, not Burt's, Howard's Feed & Wax beeswax
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Howard - no S. I love the stuff.

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.7 KB ID:	6116425
                            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Nice. I'll look into the gunstock wax and the Howard's.

Comment

Working...
                              X