Clear All

• ehdwuld
    replied
    wheres that radio button for reporting abusive posts

Leave a comment:

• ICTGoober
    replied
    Gibson uses molex plugs in all theirs
    All of them since Orville was in charge?

We are talking a 40 year old guitar

Leave a comment:

• ehdwuld
    replied
    Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
    Kwik plugs are for dolts who change pickups all the time because they don't know what good sound is.

Do it right, or not at all - Dave.
    Gibson uses molex plugs in all theirs

he obviously doesnt look forward to doing it thru the holes
    this is a solution for that
    not everyone does this for a living

or likes doing it
    Last edited by ehdwuld; 09-24-2021, 04:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ICTGoober
    replied
    Kwik plugs are for dolts who change pickups all the time because they don't know what good sound is.

Do it right, or not at all - Dave.

Leave a comment:

• ehdwuld
    replied
    when you do it
    you can add something like the Kwik plugs at GFS

they would allow you to swap pickups without rewiring the whole thing
    get one pair of four wire plugs for the harness side and several of the pickup side mounts and wire those out

then while rolling thru pickups, just move the pickup side to the new set

Leave a comment:

• Adieu
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    So, I am considering installing a set of Antiquity pickups in my 1980 Howard Roberts Fusion. There is quite a bit of oxidation in the jack and switch, too. Deoxit is working for now, but I might just replace it. Now, I am not sure (anyone know?), but I think these things came with 300k volume pots, too, which I would want to swap out for 500k for the new pickups. So...just rewire the whole thing (while keeping the old parts)?
    Of course it all has to be done through the F holes, which is not so fun. It has been quite awhile since I have had to do that.
    Just wire through the pickup cavities if you can salvage the pots

Not in the sense that the holes are bigger, but in the sense clip the leads in the cavity lay down some heavy tinfoil over a rag to protect finish and solder there

You can also do the same with new pots i guess, solder leads to them and mate them to the pickups in the pickup cavity... although that's still a lot harder.
    Last edited by Adieu; 09-24-2021, 04:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
    No, it does NOT have to be done through the F-holes. It's done through the PICKUP HOLES. And yes - put new pots and a Switchcraft jack in it.
    Really? I hadn't had the pickups out yet, so I didn't see how big the holes are. It does have a maple center block.

Leave a comment:

• Liam1963
    replied
    Replace everything, maximize the most out of all the new components.

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    yep, id swap everything out and keep the old stuff aside. new 500k pots, new jack, new switch... if youre going to do it, do it all once and be done with it.

Leave a comment:

• ICTGoober
    replied
    No, it does NOT have to be done through the F-holes. It's done through the PICKUP HOLES. And yes - put new pots and a Switchcraft jack in it.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    So, I am considering installing a set of Antiquity pickups in my 1980 Howard Roberts Fusion. There is quite a bit of oxidation in the jack and switch, too. Deoxit is working for now, but I might just replace it. Now, I am not sure (anyone know?), but I think these things came with 300k volume pots, too, which I would want to swap out for 500k for the new pickups. So...just rewire the whole thing (while keeping the old parts)?
    Of course it all has to be done through the F holes, which is not so fun. It has been quite awhile since I have had to do that.
    On a new pickup switch out of an 80s guitar with some oxidation in the pots, I would definitely take the time to change it all out -otherwise you won't have the confidence gigging knowing the Deoxit work you have been required in the past...

Leave a comment:

• Wattage
    replied
    Be brave young Jedi lol

Get that thing up to speed for you and don't look back. Patience is key when working thru the F-holes but it'll be worth it in the long run

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    started a topic Replacing pickups in an 80s Gibson

Replacing pickups in an 80s Gibson

Working...
X