Replacing pickups in an 80s Gibson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing pickups in an 80s Gibson

So, I am considering installing a set of Antiquity pickups in my 1980 Howard Roberts Fusion. There is quite a bit of oxidation in the jack and switch, too. Deoxit is working for now, but I might just replace it. Now, I am not sure (anyone know?), but I think these things came with 300k volume pots, too, which I would want to swap out for 500k for the new pickups. So...just rewire the whole thing (while keeping the old parts)?
    Of course it all has to be done through the F holes, which is not so fun. It has been quite awhile since I have had to do that.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Be brave young Jedi lol

Get that thing up to speed for you and don't look back. Patience is key when working thru the F-holes but it'll be worth it in the long run
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      So, I am considering installing a set of Antiquity pickups in my 1980 Howard Roberts Fusion. There is quite a bit of oxidation in the jack and switch, too. Deoxit is working for now, but I might just replace it. Now, I am not sure (anyone know?), but I think these things came with 300k volume pots, too, which I would want to swap out for 500k for the new pickups. So...just rewire the whole thing (while keeping the old parts)?
      Of course it all has to be done through the F holes, which is not so fun. It has been quite awhile since I have had to do that.
      On a new pickup switch out of an 80s guitar with some oxidation in the pots, I would definitely take the time to change it all out -otherwise you won't have the confidence gigging knowing the Deoxit work you have been required in the past...

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

No, it does NOT have to be done through the F-holes. It's done through the PICKUP HOLES. And yes - put new pots and a Switchcraft jack in it.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

yep, id swap everything out and keep the old stuff aside. new 500k pots, new jack, new switch... if youre going to do it, do it all once and be done with it.

Comment

Replace everything, maximize the most out of all the new components.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
              No, it does NOT have to be done through the F-holes. It's done through the PICKUP HOLES. And yes - put new pots and a Switchcraft jack in it.
              Really? I hadn't had the pickups out yet, so I didn't see how big the holes are. It does have a maple center block.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Just wire through the pickup cavities if you can salvage the pots

Not in the sense that the holes are bigger, but in the sense clip the leads in the cavity lay down some heavy tinfoil over a rag to protect finish and solder there

You can also do the same with new pots i guess, solder leads to them and mate them to the pickups in the pickup cavity... although that's still a lot harder.
                Last edited by Adieu; 09-24-2021, 04:17 PM.
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

when you do it
                  you can add something like the Kwik plugs at GFS

they would allow you to swap pickups without rewiring the whole thing
                  get one pair of four wire plugs for the harness side and several of the pickup side mounts and wire those out

then while rolling thru pickups, just move the pickup side to the new set
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Kwik plugs are for dolts who change pickups all the time because they don't know what good sound is.

Do it right, or not at all - Dave.

Comment

Kwik plugs are for dolts who change pickups all the time because they don't know what good sound is.

Gibson uses molex plugs in all theirs

he obviously doesnt look forward to doing it thru the holes
                      this is a solution for that
                      not everyone does this for a living

or likes doing it
                      Last edited by ehdwuld; 09-24-2021, 04:53 PM.
                      EHD

Comment

Gibson uses molex plugs in all theirs
                        All of them since Orville was in charge?

We are talking a 40 year old guitar

Comment

wheres that radio button for reporting abusive posts
                          EHD

Comment

You heard him Dave, make sure to steel wool the f*ck out of the guitar too

It is the only way.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Funny guy, you are.

Comment

Working...
                              X