Replacing pickups in an 80s Gibson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheres that radio button for reporting abusive posts
    I'm still waiting for the "ignore" button to start working again.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Put aquarium air hose over the top of the pots before you pull them down and through. Then when you wire up the new pots, you can switch the hose to them and pull them right back to the correct hole in the body. Some people use string, I never had good luck with that. The biggest pain in the ass for me was the output jack. I plugged a cable in, but it snagged inside and got unplugged.

Comment

I bet Antiquities and 500K pots would do well in that guitar.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Well I intended to wire it correctly. I've done wiring jobs through pickup cavities and F holes before, but it has been awhile. I know I can do it, but I am not looking forward to it. One thing I haven't done in awhile is buy a Gibson 3 way switch. Any one of them better than other ones?
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

This is what I pay Ben Chafin for....

Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              This is what I pay Ben Chafin for....
              I was debating if I should send him a message or tackle this myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I was debating if I should send him a message or tackle this myself.
                He put stacked concentric volume/tone pots, and Rails w/ Triple shots in my Dot Studio...just sayin'

I know I CAN do it. But just knowing is good enough for me.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

He put stacked concentric volume/tone pots, and Rails w/ Triple shots in my Dot Studio...just sayin'

Yah, dual-concentrics in a semihollow is the kind of wiring project I'd outsource for sure.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean. And I don't want to get into it and run out of patience and get it to him in the end, anyway. I think I have most of the parts, too.

Comment

Digging into this job, a half hour at a time, so I don't throw the whole thing through the window. After wiring up the harness, it appears that the switch has to be wired in the guitar. It won't fit in the hole in the pickup cavity, so I have to now cut the wires to the switch, install the switch, then wire the main harness to the 'tails' coming off the switch. BTW, the main electronics don't go through the pickup cavity- the channel to the main compartment is much too small. The main harness is certainly through the F holes.
                      A little bit at a time, every day...

Comment

A project like that strengthens patience as well as skills.

Comment

Could be worse. I think the main thing is planning it well so it's a 1 and done job. With the solid bodies you can faf with if you need. But this thing you'll just wanna leave like that.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

I am planning it so that I only spend a little time every day, and work on accomplishing one major task. I figure I might have just a few more days. I am testing everything as I go.

Comment

Working...
                            X