New Old Guitar Day: Well done SD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Old Guitar Day: Well done SD!

So, I went on something of a shopping spree recently (perhaps there'll be more about it later), and there was one purchase that is particularly interesting to this group. Muttsandmongrels will have seen this already:

[THE IMAGE FEATURE ISN'T WORKING RIGHT NOW. SEE LINK BELOW]

A Kramer Nightswan, which is certainly in the top 5 of the most sought-after Kramers out there, and I got mine for an extremely fair price. It has the lightning bolt finish, as well as the cracked clear coat that often follows (the story is that the clear coat was added before the painting under had dried properly, and it is a very common problem with these guitars).

I am not yet sure if I am going to keep it. It sounds better than any of my other superstrats, but I wonder if that is just the Full Shred in the bridge. That thing is amazing! It has a certain grind to it, a finely tuned top end that cuts through anything, and in general it just sits right where I want it to be. It is more of a mannierist sound than the JB, which is more versatile, but for the kind of music this guitar was made for I think it does an even better job. I'll have to get a Full Shred and see what it does to my Barettas. If they still can't touch it, this is a definite keeper.

In any case, I just wanted to commend Seymour Duncan for an extremely fine job with this humbucker. It might be a relative sleeper in the SD catalogue, but it shouldn't be.

Edit: The photo feature seems to be acting up right now. The guitar can be seen at https://ibb.co/L8sqpSV . I'll see if I can get it up here later.)
    Last edited by Sirion; 09-25-2021, 06:20 AM.

Worked for a Kramer dealer in that era. Those US Kramers of that era were amazing guitars and congrats on that find. Many today who have only seen the import Kramers don't have a clue as to just how good those guitars are. I however have owned a played many of them and DO!
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
      Worked for a Kramer dealer in that era. Those US Kramers of that era were amazing guitars and congrats on that find. Many today who have only seen the import Kramers don't have a clue as to just how good those guitars are. I however have owned a played many of them and DO!
      As do I; you can see two finished ones and a project in the background of that photo. They were sleeper deals on the market for a long time, but no more. The Nightswans and the Sambora models in particular go for almost as much as they did back in the day (which in Europe at least was more than a Gibson Les Paul).

Comment

That is a great grab. I would keep it no matter what but that is me.
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Cool. I had a Kramer back in the early 80s and it played very well.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Very cool. I am not a Fullshred guy, but I think the Demon is a sort of low-output alternative for when you want to amp to do the work.

Nice grab though!
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Wow very nice score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very cool. Those original Swans are getting more and more collectible.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  Very cool. I am not a Fullshred guy, but I think the Demon is a sort of low-output alternative for when you want to amp to do the work.

Nice grab though!
                  This reminds me, I have a Hunter humbucker I still need to put into something.

Comment

Working...
                  X