No announcement yet.

Jazz III fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've actually been trying and enjoying Kirk Hammett's Jazz III picks with the notch cut out of the rear end.

I'd be willing to check out the JP sig ones too. . .
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
      wooden picks here, for everything . It was the most amazing discovery I ever had regarding gear...

before that, I used those jazz-3 shaped 1.14mm "gator material" picks,
      and green & black gators .
      Every time I've been in Europe, I buy lots of wooden picks -because they are common .... love them for Acoustic and Jazzy stuff.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I like the translucent yellow Ultex Jazz III's best. Though I'm fine w/ the red or black one's....

Have'nt cared for the JP, Carbon fibre & EJ Jazz III's I 've tried. Have'nt tried the XL's. But I'm fine with the regular sized one's so..
        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Check out the Gator Grip Jazz lll also you guys. Wears down faster than the others but there's a certain tone you can get with them and it is smooth without ridges. $2.99 for a pack of 6.
          Last edited by UnderTheFlame83; 10-14-2021, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post
            Check out the Gator Grip Jazz lll also you guys. Wears down faster than the others but there's a certain tone you can get with them and it is smooth without ridges. $2.99 for a pack of 6.
            These are my favorite...I use 1.14mm. I like the slight texture, and it is ever so slightly larger (and thinner) than a typical Jazz III.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

These are my favorite...I use 1.14mm. I like the slight texture, and it is ever so slightly larger (and thinner) than a typical Jazz III.
              Yeah I think they're perfect. Been using them about a year now.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post

Yeah I think they're perfect. Been using them about a year now.
                I get mine custom printed at In Tune GP, which isn't expensive, and really cool.

Comment

Nothing is cooler than custom picks

Comment

Going to be grabbing a 6 pack of these Petrucci picks today. I'm using the standard Jazz III Ultex right now. If these are just a 3-sided Jazz III Ultex, we might have a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                      Going to be grabbing a 6 pack of these Petrucci picks today. I'm using the standard Jazz III Ultex right now. If these are just a 3-sided Jazz III Ultex, we might have a winner.
                      They aren't quite that, but not far off either. They will feel weird at first, more-so than the usual pick change, but that goes away after a short time.
                      The tip is just a little sharper than a regular jazz3, it's basically the tip from the Flow model.

Overall across all music styles I still prefer the jazz3 tip for it's slightly warmer attack/release, but the Trinity is the best for shredding leads and super fast technical riffs.
                      It's cool too because if it starts to get out of position it's very easy to roll to the next tip, and those tips last forever even if there was only 1, let alone having 3.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

The max-grip surface makes a big difference with the standard jazz3 size. They do max-grip on most of the jazz3 line now, nylon(red) and stiffo(black) too. IMO it makes more difference than going up in size to the XL-jazz3.
                        I use the Jazz lll and love the red and black ones. My very favorite is the Ultex yellow version. They have the perfect amount of tug coming off of the string for me.

I tried the max grip ones, and hated them almost immediately. They stay in place well, but if the pick gets twisted in your fingers, it's almost impossible to get it sitting right again without stopping playing. I can make the other versions twist back to where I like them with only my picking hand.
                        - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                          Nothing is cooler than custom picks

Very cool! Custom picks aren't as expensive as they used to be. They were quite expensive say, 15 years ago. Now there are different printing technologies, and the price has really come down.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

They aren't quite that, but not far off either. They will feel weird at first, more-so than the usual pick change, but that goes away after a short time.
                            The tip is just a little sharper than a regular jazz3, it's basically the tip from the Flow model.

Overall across all music styles I still prefer the jazz3 tip for it's slightly warmer attack/release, but the Trinity is the best for shredding leads and super fast technical riffs.
                            It's cool too because if it starts to get out of position it's very easy to roll to the next tip, and those tips last forever even if there was only 1, let alone having 3.
                            I grabbed a set, and I didn't feel it was hard to adapt. They sound nice and bright, and I like that.

One thing I will say, though, is they wear as fast if not faster than the older Tortex Jazz III's I was using. Kinda disappointed in that regard. But at least they've got 3 tips. I do play pretty hard, though, so I guess there's that.

For some reason, red Jazz III's always last longest with my playing style. Even if they're not the hardest. I don't know why that is. I really don't like how warm/kinda dull-sounding the attack is on those, though.
                            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-17-2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

This took way too long. Love this pick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

... and after all that, I'm once again back on .88mm Tortex. The only real pick change that's ever stuck with me is going from the regular green Tortex to the Tortex Flex a few years ago.
                                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                                X