Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any reasons NOT to buy a 90's PRS CE?

Hello all.

I've been trolling on Reverb and noticed that PRS CE's from the 90's (when I first became aware of PRS) are economically attainable at this time. Are there any glaring issues with these guitars? I'm aware that they're bolt on guitars, but they appeal to me.

Thoughts?
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

I have 3. No problems.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      I have 3. No problems.
      Do yours have the 5 way rotary?

Comment

Every one I've tried was a solid guitar that I wouldn't mind owning.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Only one. I find it unwieldy.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I have a '97 that plays very well indeed. Seriously lively for a bolt-on, despite a maple neck instead of mahogany.
            Replaced its Dragon One pickups with the 1985 reissue set. It is now the stand-in for my beloved '87, which I no longer travel with.

Has the 5-way rotary - 90s version, slightly different from the original 80s wiring:
            Position 2 is outer coils in series (rather than both full hums out-of-phase).
            Position 3 is inner coils in series (instead of both full hums).
            They kept the wonderful Stratty inner-coils-parallel wiring in Position 4.
            1 & 2 are the straight-up humbuckers of course.

Not a 10-top but this one has a fairly pretty maple cap nonetheless. Nice rosewood too.
            I'm quite happy with it.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I bought a ‘99 CE24 earlier this year. Absolutely love it.

I’m keeping the 5 way rotary. I agree that it’s a little unwieldy, but all 5 options are awesome, and I like how the theee knobs look.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                I bought a ‘99 CE24 earlier this year. Absolutely love it.

I’m keeping the 5 way rotary. I agree that it’s a little unwieldy, but all 5 options are awesome, and I like how the theee knobs look.
                I've never played a PRS for an extended period, but I think that the 5 way rotary set up is an essential part of the PRS flavor. Maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

Played a 1989 once – very nice guitar, lightly curled top, cherry burst. The pups were changed at some point to Brierley PAF style, though, so couldn't say how it would've sounded originally. Of course, being an oldie, it was nicely broken in. Another plus was the small heel, which later on (mid-90s?) they made pretty big.

Only peeve was the rotary switch, but if I owned it, I'd probably get used to it after a while.

Hm, maybe I should've snagged it, it was a bit over 2k AUD .
                  Last edited by Ashurbanipal; 10-04-2021, 02:39 AM.
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post

I've never played a PRS for an extended period, but I think that the 5 way rotary set up is an essential part of the PRS flavor. Maybe I'm wrong.
                    I had an S2 with a 3 way and push/pull. Loved it, too. However, I’m not willing to give up that split-series position for the convenience of an easier to use switch.

I wouldn’t say it’s quite essential, but it is f-ing awesome.

Regarding neck heels, mine has the wide-thin profile, and a normal blocky neck joint. I’m not looking at it right now, but I assume is has the bigger heel. Hasn’t bothered me a bit.
                    Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 10-04-2021, 05:44 AM.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                      Not a 10-top but this one has a fairly pretty maple cap nonetheless. Nice rosewood too.
                      I'm quite happy with it.

That IS gorgeous!

I have a '97 that plays very well indeed. Seriously lively for a bolt-on, despite a maple neck instead of mahogany.
                      Strats are quite lively too despite their bolt-on, maple necks. Actually, I think maple is quite livelier than mahogany generally speaking.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of rotaries because they are a bit cumbersome to use. But I did have a Gibson 345 a long time ago and I must have gotten used to the rotary. I don't remember ever being bothered by it then.
                        Last edited by GuitarDoc; 10-04-2021, 10:05 AM.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Didn't the 90s ones have alder bodies instead of mahogany? Double check me, I could be wrong. That wouldn't be a detriment to me, just asking, I know some of the early ones were alder, just not sure which years.

Comment

Replaced its Dragon One pickups with the 1985 reissue set. It is now the stand-in for my beloved '87, which I no longer travel with.

Has the 5-way rotary - 90s version, slightly different from the original 80s wiring:
                            Position 2 is outer coils in series (rather than both full hums out-of-phase).
                            Position 3 is inner coils in series (instead of both full hums).
                            They kept the wonderful Stratty inner-coils-parallel wiring in Position 4.
                            1 & 2 are the straight-up humbuckers of course.

I'm quite happy with it.

That's my favorite PRS this year.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'd be curious about the shape of the frets. Obviously fret wear depends on how much play the axe has received. But if you're looking at costs you might need to factor in the cost of a refret.
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                              http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
                              X