No announcement yet.

JB Weld is NOT approved for this repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Titebond or traditional hide glue would be used in such a repair.
    What many zero information DIY'rs don't understand is that musical instruments are MEANT to be taken apart.
    In the last 40 plus years I've seen hot glue guns used, epoxy (sometime mixed with other stuff), Gorilla Glue (which expands as it cures), various super glues, you name it.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
      Everybody knows you can't use a JB in a hollow body!

Tonal properties of glue... go!
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Only 2 things you need to know in life:

If it moves and it's not supposed to - use duct tape
        If it doesn't move and is suppose to - use WD40

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          Gorilla Glue (which expands as it cures)
          Gorilla glue is a brand, not a type of glue. They sell multiple different glues - original brown polyurethane, superglue/cyanoacrylate, epoxy, and a regular white wood glue. I haven't noticed the gorilla brand wood glue expanding as it cures - it's just like any other wood glue I've used.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

JB Weld got that sweet tone.....

All you fools don't know what a genius this kid who made this repair was.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I can't remember what type of Gorilla Glue I had but I had used a little (and I mean a minimal amount) to hold down some tolex on a guitar case in some curve spots where it had lifted. Yeah, it expanded alright. Now there's a lump under the handle. One of these days I'll cut that out of there and redo it with the right adhesive.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Gorilla glue is a brand, not a type of glue. They sell multiple different glues - original brown polyurethane, superglue/cyanoacrylate, epoxy, and a regular white wood glue. I haven't noticed the gorilla brand wood glue expanding as it cures - it's just like any other wood glue I've used.
                I think he's referring to the original -Gorilla Glue was one type of glue for the first 10 years in the US or so and it was gross for most things, then they expanded out to all the types you see now.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Before I judge....how long did the repair last?
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Looks like a typical 'dad' repair.

Comment

I don't know who did it, or when it was repaired, and I don't know how long it sat broken in the case - therefore, I can't answer that.
                      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                        I don't know who did it, or when it was repaired, and I don't know how long it sat broken in the case - therefore, I can't answer that.
                        Honestly, as the resident JB Weld expert (Not for guitar repairs however) that repair is only a couple of years old -based on the freshness and uniformity of the color

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          Only 2 things you need to know in life:

If it moves and it's not supposed to - use duct tape
                          If it doesn't move and is suppose to - use WD40
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

I love this, but all jokes aside

WD-40 is a terrible type of lubricant for most things except getting things initially moving that are stuck -which is what is designed for.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

Lol never seen that bundle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

I love this, but all jokes aside

WD-40 is a terrible type of lubricant for most things except getting things initially moving that are stuck -which is what is designed for.
                                Even as a penetrating lubricant, WD-40 is mediocre at best. There’s a lot of stuff out there that’s much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X