• Blille
    replied
    When did this forum become so reasonable? Lol

Thanks guys - I think I'll pass.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarDoc
    replied
    Originally posted by ErikH View Post
    You will not find a perfect match in a rattle can. If you can get a match mixed up, take it to an auto body shop and see if they'll spray it. They have everything I mentioned you'd need.

IMO, it's not worth it. I have a pint of clear, a pint of color, and some hardener for a guitar project I'm looking to finish this month and it cost me $100 for just that.
    Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. You may be able to get close with a rattle can but you'll not get an exact match, and since the head is not right next to the body, you may be able to get away with just that and be fine.

But even if you find out the exact color/formula, like Erik said, you'll need all of the equipment, knowledge, and experience to apply it. Or the $$$ to pay a shop to apply it (it's not cheap). And still, there are other factors such as aging, batch lots of the colors and tints used, and even the clear coat, whether it's gloss or semi or satin, etc which can still leave a less than perfect match. I used to work as the color matching expert for a paint company and I know how difficult it is to get an exact match of another color.

But I think the way your guitar looks with the colored body and plain maple fretboard and head looks pretty awesome as is. IMO it's not worth the effort or money to change that great look.

Leave a comment:

• ErikH
    replied
    To do it properly with a matched mix from whomever, you would need a paint gun, air compressor, mix cups, hardener, clear coat, and the proper respiratory mask w/ filters.

You will not find a perfect match in a rattle can. If you can get a match mixed up, take it to an auto body shop and see if they'll spray it. They have everything I mentioned you'd need.

IMO, it's not worth it. I have a pint of clear, a pint of color, and some hardener for a guitar project I'm looking to finish this month and it cost me $100 for just that.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Blille
    replied
    Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    You can't just ask Sterling / Ernie Ball support?
    I did ask. Haven't heard back. Even if they tell me the color I would need to figure out how to match it to whatever is available.

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
    It's not surf green. Looks like metallic faded green.
    Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Looks like a lighter tint of the hues Seafoam Green or Seebreeze Mist.
    Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    That looks very similar to reranch "Surf Green", a Fender color.

https://reranchstore.stores.yahoo.net/fencuscol.html
    It looks slightly lighter than that surf green - I agree with NE - it looks like a lighter seafoam green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

• Blille
    replied
    Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Some paint stores have a handheld spectrum analyzer for paint matching -which will throw off an exact actual color chart codes -like Pantone, ITT, Munsell etc etc (Not sure what a brand will use)

Probably worth calling a local paint store -like Sherman Williams etc..... Hardware stores are less likely but may have some equip.
    Yes, I saw them use one last time we went to buy some cans for our house so I think I could get them to tell me the color number or whatever but I would not be able to buy it from them since I need another kind of paint and in spray form, no?

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Is the goal to basically find a rattle can car color that is as close as possible?
    Maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You think it would look good even if it's not a perfect match?

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied
    Looks like a lighter tint of the hues Seafoam Green or Seebreeze Mist.

Leave a comment:

• Obsessive Compulsive
    replied
    It's not surf green. Looks like metallic faded green.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied
    You can't just ask Sterling / Ernie Ball support?

Leave a comment:

• GuitarDoc
    replied
    That looks very similar to reranch "Surf Green", a Fender color.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied
    Is the goal to basically find a rattle can car color that is as close as possible?

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied
    Some paint stores have a handheld spectrum analyzer for paint matching -which will throw off an exact actual color chart codes -like Pantone, ITT, Munsell etc etc (Not sure what a brand will use)

Probably worth calling a local paint store -like Sherman Williams etc..... Hardware stores are less likely but may have some equip.

Leave a comment:

• Blille
    replied
    Thanks guys.

I’m really liking it so I’m going to do some upgrades. Since I’m going to swap the tuners I figured I could paint the headstock but it may be more trouble than it’s worth.

We’ll see!

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    You would have to replicate the logo, too, as there would be no way to save it. However, I think it looks awesome as-is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X