So I finally got a Telecaster...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I finally got a Telecaster...

Being a strat and super strat player, mostly, I finally bite the bullet and bought a tele because everyone needs a tele in their collection? Well, not everyone I suppose. First off its a cheap used Affinity tele because I didn't want to spend much on something I am not sure I was going to like, and really, did I need another guitar? No, not really. But I have never owned a tele before and the guitar only cost $100, so I bought it...

And I am happy to report I am glad I bought it. First thing that I notice is how comfortable the neck feels in my hand. Not baseball bat size or too thin. Feels just right and different than any other guitar in my collection. I find even though it has no body contours I don't miss them, or even notice them while playing. The tuners aren't too bad and even the pickups it has don't sound bad at all. It has that classic tele sound. But there is a few things I don't like about it. High E is too close to the edge of the fretboard and I can't do those hammer offs as usual and at the 20th fret the D and G string frets out while bending up. Neck is straight and action is decent, so I suppose the frets need some work. But for $100 I am not really complaining. I am glad that I finally got a tele in my collection after all.

a good tele can do damn near everything like lpb said. a grind and polish will cost you about as much as the guitar but itll be worth it

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
      A Tele is a great guitar, especially if you are into variety. I like them precisely because they are not just like everything else. Also, you really can play any style of music on them. They just bring their own thing to it.
      Yep, I am a little surprised by it. Trying to post a pic of it but keep getting an error. The color is Slick Silver and the fretboard is Indian Laurel.
      Last edited by UnderTheFlame83; 10-11-2021, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Right on. Play it in good health. I gigged a Highway 1 tele for more than 10 years. Played country, oldies, blues, pop, rock, funk, church muzak, folk. It did all of it well. Though I did have a Duncan Broadcaster and Antiquity neck in there, so that helped A LOT.

Comment

I love my teles. I have pretty much every major food group when it comes to guitars, but if I had to drop everything and stick to one guitar for every style of music you'd use an electric guitar for, it'd be my MIJ '69 Thinline RI.

Yep, it's loaded with real single coils.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

And Im not even talking about a set-neck guitar shaped like a Telecaster with three splittable humbuckers and a Floyd. Im talking about an old-fashioned Tele with two single-coils, two knobs, a switch, and a bridge that wont intonate properly. Thats the Telecaster that does it for me.
            I *did* get an uncovered neck pickup made for mine. Aside from that, I agree 100%.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I find myself using the middle position and that's something I rarely do. I assume this guitar has 250K pots and stock pickups. Haven't checked yet. Not much taper on the volume but the tone pot does. Previous owner installed black Dunlop strap buttons.

Comment

Five teles in my collection. A 2020 MIM with Fender Gen4 noiseless pickups, a DIY with SD Quarterpounders, a DIY with Hotrails, a DIY with a SD Little 59 bridge humbucker and a SD Vintage Stack neck, and a DIY thinline with SD La Breas.

Comment

PS I would look into a Mighty Mite neck. Might be a lot cheaper to do a neck swap then getting a fret job.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                    PS I would look into a Mighty Mite neck. Might be a lot cheaper to do a neck swap then getting a fret job.
                    But he already digs the feel of the neck, and a new neck may end up feeling very different and can easily cost twice what a fret job will cost...esp. if it only needs a few frets leveled.
                    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 10-12-2021, 09:48 AM.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

During 60 years of playing guitar I never ever even thought about touching a Tele let alone owning one. Now I have a half dozen Teles and Tele-like guitars and love the way they play and sound. They ARE very versatile guitars, but with their own flavor, which is definitely not a bad thing!

Comment

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post
                        But there is a few things I don't like about it. High E is too close to the edge of the fretboard and I can't do those hammer offs as usual and at the 20th fret the D and G string frets out while bending up. Neck is straight and action is decent, so I suppose the frets need some work. But for $100 I am not really complaining. I am glad that I finally got a tele in my collection after all.
                        Might just be able to loosen the neck screws and move/angle the neck toward the top of the body a bit to bring the high E string further in.

Comment

ive done that on a few guitars. sometimes it works better than others, depends on the root issue, but its worth a try.

Comment

I owned one Tele for a while...Samick / Valley Arts Ray Benson model. Tele, Hot Rails, Humbucker, and all sorts of switching...never really bonded but a cool guitar.

Someday I'll have another Tele. Something basic. Maybe a tapped 59 in the bridge...

Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Nice, Love me some Tele, lack of body contours never bothered me, but I've been a bean pool most of my life and contours don't factor as much in with skinny dudes

If you are overweight (or undertall) you may never get a good look at your Tele's fretboard

Also, love a lil 59 stack in the Bridge position -I support Aceman on that. That and new tuners may be all you are ever compelled to do on that guitar, If you even do.
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X