building again, need paint & decal advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building again, need paint & decal advice

After a godawful long time (try nineteen-eighty-something!), I'm building a new ax.
    I found a guy to rout a poplar body blank for me, and I ordered a GuitarFetish neck. I'm gathering parts from various sources.

My idea's coming to fruition, but I need to learn more about poly finishes and decals.
    Before I put on a waterslide decal, should I use medium-fine sandpaper or 4-ought (0000) steel wool on the headstock?
    My understanding is that the veneer on a headstock is thin to start with, so I just want to buff the shine down enough for the decal adhesive to grab on.
    Would the steel wool be too much? If I use the sandpaper, should I wet sand or dry sand?

I'm on the rather low end budget-wise, so I'm not buying another neck if the finish goes bad.
    sigpic
    "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
    Originally posted by Lewguitar
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Water slide decals are best applied to a smooth finished surface. You can use poly or lacquer but after several coats, wet-sand with 800-1000 grit sandpaper. Apply the decal. Allow 24 hours for all of the water to evaporate. Put on 2-3 "dry" coats of lacquer then about 3-4 more wet coats of clear lacquer (or 3-4 more coats poly), then level sand using 1500-2500 grit sandpaper. Then apply a couple more clear coats, sand if necessary and polish.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

100% what Doc said.
      -=The Dali
      --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Yep, can not argue with Doc's advice. The only thing I would add is if you still see the edge of the decal after 3 or 4 coats don't be afraid to add a fifth or more. I would also advise as much time and patience between coats as possible. And also give a good amount of drying time before adding the tuners.

Comment

+1. Time can be your best friend.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
          X