On the bench (and flaky)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the bench (and flaky)

Honest to God.... This is an old photo I ran across.
    I had a PRS on my bench that someone stripped the top and colored it green WITH A CRAYON!!!!!!!!
    I touched up a high fret and lowered the action.
    After I put the guitar back in the case, I noticed these green flakes on the bath towel I lay my work on....

Click image for larger version  Name:	Zbw7h7i.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.3 KB ID:	6122019
    Last edited by ICTGoober; 10-25-2021, 08:08 AM.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

What a noob. Pros know that you use a green sharpie, not a crayon for finish work!
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

what the hell. you shouldn't legally be allowed to give it back to him.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

wax on, wax off

Comment

it does give it a unique look

Comment

Some of the flakes even stuck to my forearm.
            I looked in the case to see what crayon he used..... nada.

Comment

im hoping its one of the 14" long, 2.5" diameter ones

Comment

That PRS McCarty was probably gorgeous at one time. What would motivate someone to do such a horrible "refinish"?

I always polish guitars after working on them and before returning them. What do you do to a crayon?!
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I think it looks kind of cool in the pic anyway. Not sure how I'd like playing it...
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

well if it was a vintage crayon....
                    My Bands -
                    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Never seen anything like that - certainly is different.
                      IDK, but buffing it might leave a waxy trans green semigloss with grain showing through.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        That PRS McCarty was probably gorgeous at one time. What would motivate someone to do such a horrible "refinish"?
                        You know, George Harrison used his wife's nail polish to work on 'Rocky', his '64 Strat, after the cheap day-glo tempera paint flaked off.

I'd say ...drugs. Drugs would motivate someone to do such a horrible refinish.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                          Honest to God.... This is an old photo I ran across.
                          I had a PRS on my bench that someone stripped the top and colored it green WITH A CRAYON!!!!!!!!
                          I touched up a high fret and lowered the action.
                          After I put the guitar back in the case, I noticed these green flakes on the bath towel I lay my work on....

Click image for larger version Name:	Zbw7h7i.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.3 KB ID:	6122019
                          Finish the story ICT, level with the people, you used steel wool to scrub it all off for the client, which you realized was the wrong thing for the jerb and thus began your blind hatred for steel wool.

It actual looks kind of cool, maybe he should have sprayed it with acrylic after... although I'm not certain how acrylic would adhere and protect a soft wax now that I think on that.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I wanted it gone ASAP, and I think beaubrummels hit the nail on the head. DRUGS make people do stupid stuff. If he wasn't taking drugs, then maybe he should have been taking some. Definitely one for my "Weirdo Hall of Fame".

Comment

Had to be drugs. Either that or lack of brains.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X