I sold my Zion Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sold my Zion Strat

Considering my handle is ZionStrat, it is a bit surprising that I have sold my Zion off to a good buddy who really needed it and I have first purchase option if it ever goes back on the market. I'm at downsizing age and I've replicated this tone in my own guitars, but I will sure miss it..

Photo https://drive.google.com/file/d/11nC...w?usp=drivesdk

I decided to write it up because Zions are not well known... but the quality and design is in the Shur or Anderson range.

It's swamp ash, maple neck with barden pickups and it covers the entire range of modern Strat to classic strat.. it was the first guitar I custom designed and here's the story..

In the mid 1990s I was regularly playing live with a 4 piece band that had a lot of moving parts.

The keyboardist led with lots of intricate patches, the bassist could hit the root and get a nice riff in before the next root and the drummer was a solid timekeeper who regularly mixed in polyrhythms. As a result, my 2 humbucker Krammer was simply too thick and it was regularly lost in the mix.

In late 1995, I decided I needed a custom guitar and I called Ken Hoover with Zion guitars. I had met Ken 10 years or so before when he was the only person I could find in the Greensboro NC area who could set up a Floyd Rose correctly.

Of course, he did a lot more than setups... he was the founder of Zion guitars and was known for building beautiful, extremely well-designed guitars before Suhr and Anderson were top brands.

I knew I needed a modern strat and I wanted a compound maple neck and swamp ash body with a standard tremolo. But I was also hoping to get classic strat sounds, it needed to be low noise and I had about $1250 to spend.

Considering that Ken regularly built one of a kinds, this was a relatively easy job. However, my price point was pretty low and he needed a couple of months to get all of the parts together.

The key to the 'dual sound' was the pickups- He used Joe Bardens, an articulate and thick take on a strat size, dual coil
    ​pup. But he also included a spin a split to thin out the modern 'umph'.

As a result, it could cut with tons of punch, but it could also back off into classic Strat chimey tones.

So keep your eyes open, their standard designs are significantly different than my strat... however they're all incredibly well-built and wonderful price points for such well-built guitars..

Ken passed away a number of years ago and sold the operation and it is now based in Raleigh North Carolina.. I'm assuming that the value is still good, however they also bought Joe Bardon pickups.. so an incredible opportunity to mix and match!

So keep your eyes open on the used market and would love to hear your Zion stories!

​​​​​​
    Last edited by zionstrat; 10-29-2021, 02:30 PM.
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Google link no workee.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Thanks ICT.. will you check and see if it works now?

Comment

Link worked for me when it did not before.

​​​​​ Cool looking guitar! The spin split sounds like a great option with those pickups!

Comment

Well acquainted with ZION and those are super cool guitars. Looked really hard at one of Phil Keaggys personal Zions a few years ago. On par with my USA Washburn guitars from Chicago.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
            Well acquainted with ZION and those are super cool guitars. Looked really hard at one of Phil Keaggys personal Zions a few years ago.
            Yeah, those are some of the most beautiful Zions ever made.. I really didn't know much Keaggy before I got my Zion, but you can imagine I got a lot of input when I played it out in the real world.

By construction, my Strat is significantly different than a keggy model.. but going back to those Bardens, I could get a beautiful singing tone without any trouble at all.

In fact I tracked a very melodic type solo on my PRS CE 24 and just couldn't get it right after multiple takes... Once I pulled the Zion out I got it in a minute or two..

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
              Link worked for me when it did not before.

​​​​​ Cool looking guitar! The spin split sounds like a great option with those pickups!
              Yeah the one other mod I always wanted to try was a barden parallel to self.. it works really good with other rail pickups like the cool rail and hot rail.. but I practically never had to pick guard off because it did exactly what I needed it to do and I didn't want to mess with perfection :-)

Comment

Getting rid of that guitar is a tragic error.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  Please expand your thoughts!

As far as I can tell, it had probably appreciated about as much as it was going to.. and although I still talk about it a lot, it was getting practically no play time.. I've got a lot of guitars now that get these tones relatively easily.

Or do you think my handle is weak without underlying gold behind the currency? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Nah. There's always another one.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                    X