banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talk to me about semi and full hollows with back plates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about semi and full hollows with back plates.

Hey guys!

I love semi and full hollow bodies, but I'm getting tired of wiring stuff through the f holes.

Are there any semi's and full hollows out there (new or used) that use backplates?

Should I stick to thinline teles?
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Gibson and Epi Lucille models do.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Kiesel SH550 and the one I played was amazing!!
      The SH550, though popular in Jazz and Blues, is relevant to any style of music. A plethora of top woods are selectable on this semi-hollow body instrument, resulting in a typically lighter weight for a large-bodied instrument; F-holes are then carved into the top to further add to the resonant tone and classic aesthetic. A set-neck further adds to a fuller, long-sustaining sound.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
        https://www.kieselguitars.com/series/guitar/sh550
        I tried a few at NAMM really hoping to like them. They were the most boring sounding guitars out of all the Kiesels I tried. I really wanted to like them. But there was no characteristic semi-solid tone there. Sounded like a generic solidbody. They were pretty, but that was it.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Goob keeps telling that you can move stuff through the pickup holes too, even in semis because they have an opening in the centerblock under the bridge pickup (mine of course doesn't as far as I can see through the F hole...). Have you tried that way?

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
            Goob keeps telling that you can move stuff through the pickup holes too, even in semis because they have an opening in the centerblock under the bridge pickup (mine of course doesn't as far as I can see through the F hole...). Have you tried that way?
            I have. Output jacks are the bane of my existence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
              https://www.kieselguitars.com/series/guitar/sh550
              Those are pretty. They remind me of stuff Hamer used to build.

Comment

Also, old 80s Gibson ES Artists had backplates. And no F holes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	56d86bed5a3051bd1cf5102ab3640b29.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	6133089

Comment

The Artcore Ibanez Talman from the early-mid 00s has its electrics accessible via a rear panel. Not made anymore but they can be found used for not too much $$. There were a couple of models in that time, some had a centre block while others were advertised as fully hollow (though presumably with a block for anchoring the bridge and tailpiece).
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Peerless make one with a backplate and no F holes in a similar style to the Lucille.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                      The Artcore Ibanez Talman from the early-mid 00s has its electrics accessible via a rear panel. Not made anymore but they can be found used for not too much $$. There were a couple of models in that time, some had a centre block while others were advertised as fully hollow (though presumably with a block for anchoring the bridge and tailpiece).
                      I dig that. Looks pretty sporty.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                        I'm pretty sure Peerless make one with a backplate and no F holes in a similar style to the Lucille.
                        I'll look them up, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Also, old 80s Gibson ES Artists had backplates. And no F holes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	56d86bed5a3051bd1cf5102ab3640b29.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	6133089
                          I'll look them up. Also, looking around, I noticed the old Blueshawks are semis with plates. I just dislike the fact that they have "Blueshawk" printed on the upper shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post

I'll look them up. Also, looking around, I noticed the old Blueshawks are semis with plates. I just dislike the fact that they have "Blueshawk" printed on the upper shoulder.
                            Yeah, that was a dumb idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Yeah, that was a dumb idea.
                              Might look for one that's beat on the cheap and get a refin.

Comment

Working...
                              X