banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ran out of holey pics...5 minutes with a drill..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran out of holey pics...5 minutes with a drill..

No idea if the photo will come through these days.. but I got tired of not finding star pics online.. the one with holes in them. I found them much easier to grasp and also to control the rotation.

So I grabbed a bag of regular picks and 5 minutes later my electric drill had created some fabulous picks!

Although the ones with the single hole in the center are most like Star picks, it turned out that I most like a hole that is low on the left side of the pic adjacent to one farther up on the right side of the pick.

Star picks rotate just like any pick however because skin is touching through the pick, you can control the rotation and easily rotate back without losing control of the pick.

These custom 'Michael special' picks, don't rotate because there are two holes and lots of skin contact. I think I like them better than the regular rotating pick, however, the pic is now directional.. I have to hold it with the turtle facing me..

I almost bought a heavier bag of pics because I assumed they may soften due to the drill hole and I'm a very Steve Howe-ish heavy pick guy. But that wasn't the case. They feel just as stiff as the undrilled picks..
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Comment

I usually take a knife and scrape some x shaped scratches into both sides of my Jazz IIIs before using them. That way they stick to my hands like glue even when sweaty. Haven't tried the hole in the pick thing though, maybe I'll give it a go next time.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Back in the early-mid 90's I used puffy paint to texture all my picks. Could do dots, lines or all kinds of designs and even have them contoured to the fingers nicely. I always made them glow in the dark or neon to glow w/a black light. I never knew anyone else that did it, just came up with it on my own.

Comment

I never had an issue holding on to picks (Jazz III, myself) so I am fascinated by how guitarists have and solve this problem. The tortex, ultex, and gator grip finishes had always solved this issue for me.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, I was really surprised the first time I played a pick with a hole in it because it did something I didn't expect.. when the skin from my thumb touched the skin from my first finger, it's like my fingers had an epiphany... like I had automatically received a little more pick control.

I think the original reasoning for the hole is to reduce pic movement in all directions.. the skin touching skin thing definitely increases friction although I would have imagined the opposite.. there's less total material touching my fingers. The original pic had little divots that are part of the hole, but having drilled these myself, I think it's more to do with the hole in general.

Anyway, I'm not going to spend any more time trying to figure out how this works.. but it's really really easy to do so give it a try!

Comment

My Brossard picks came with a hole in them. I love the way the hole anchors the pick I rarely drop one and they help me pick more accurately.

Comment

A regular hole punch wouldn't work?

Comment

Ive also heard of folks dropping picks in boiling water, heat the pick a bit, taking it out of the water and holding it as you normally would till it cools. Kinda forms to yiur fingers this way, kinda like when you formed your mouthpiece playing football in high school
                  1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                  Jackson Soloist 7 string
                  ESP LTD M-400
                  Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                    Ive also heard of folks dropping picks in boiling water, heat the pick a bit, taking it out of the water and holding it as you normally would till it cools. Kinda forms to yiur fingers this way, kinda like when you formed your mouthpiece playing football in high school
                    At the rate I lose picks, that seems like a lot of work!
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

At the rate I lose picks, that seems like a lot of work!
                      Really only takes a couple mins, longest would be to get the water to boil. Remember seeing the tip in Guitar World or something many mooms ago
                      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                      Jackson Soloist 7 string
                      ESP LTD M-400
                      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                        A regular hole punch wouldn't work?
                        Never tried it... Give it a shot!
                        But the drill took bout 20sec per pick, so really, really easy.

Comment

Lol…. I was expecting to see a image of Jesus sitting in a dentist chair!

on a serious note I can see that 2 or 3 holes would be better than just 1 to stop the pick rotating. I’m going to try some myself, cheers!

Comment

Hadn't considered the potential for the spiritual interpretation.. next time I'll write about a spiritual subject in terms that look like plain old guitar stuff :-)

Yeah, the two and a third kind of punch are pretty incredible. I'm really liking how this turned out.

But on a few of them, I punched the low left hole first and then rasped the upper right side to get a bit of a curly tail towards the top and that actually might be my favorite one.

Can't wait to gig and see if I get frustrated because I've got to pick them up from the correct side or if it's an automatic pilot kind of thing.

Comment

If you never drop your pick, then what do you do with the pick holder on the mic stand?
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X