banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the darkest years of Gibson QC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never even seen a '50s Les Paul up close, but I am sure that is true just based on my own personal experience with two 1962 SG Specials that felt like they were built by different companies! One (mine) had a very small neck, a 10" radius on the fretboard, and nicely rounded edges everywhere. Just a joy to hold & play. The other had a wide, fat neck and sharp edges on all the body contours. I hated it.
    Same model, same year.
    So yeah, some of the best and worst guitars I have ever tried in shops were Gibsons. Most were fine but some were just wonky. 1960s through early 1990s. After that I stopped constantly shopping guitars and have had almost no contact with any made after 1996 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
      I have 5 Gibsons ranging from 2002 - 2019 and they are all great guitars with no flaws. There is a saying that happy customers tell no one, unhappy customers tell everybody. I think the QC thing with Gibson is more myth than fact.
      I have 4 Gibsons. Only one is jacked up...but it was supposed to be that way!

That said...at their price - there should be no issues a screwdriver can't adjust (note I did not say fix)
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
        I can attest to the anchors they sold as guitars. I had a 78 pro deluxe that was over 13lbs and an utter hunk of junk.
        Had a black 77 one of those and yep they were absolute back breakers!
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I've had 5 Gibsons over the decades:

'89 LPC
          '90 SG Special
          '08 CS '61 LP/SG Custom
          '13 Tikibird
          '13 LP Traditional

I can't say any of them sucked QC-wise. The Custom Shop SG, however, is of course the best.

I just hate Gibson's yearly hundreds-of-dollars price increases. What extra value are we getting? Jack ****. Not to mention their buying up of other quality companies and letting them rot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Some of the late 70s and early 80s were the heaviest Gibsons. On some guitars, you can see the multiple asymmetrical pieces of wood glued together (you can see the seams through the paint). They had a handful of good ideas then (ES Artist, Firebrands, my Howard Roberts Fusion), but Norlin wasn't really a guitar-centric company.
            There was a lot of not so much "Bad" as "Bad idea"
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

They left out the part about QC issues in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                I
                I just hate Gibson's yearly hundreds-of-dollars price increases. What extra value are we getting? Jack ****. Not to mention their buying up of other quality companies and letting them rot.
                I must say I am cool with their prices

Comment

Imagine that.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, well, not everybody gets the Bruce-rates. For 300 USD, I would get one too. Maybe even two...

Comment

The prices are largely in line with the cost of guitars in the 50s when adjusted for inflation

Comment

Working...
                      X