banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD: 1977 made for export Aria Pro II LC-550TB (Les Paul Custom)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: 1977 made for export Aria Pro II LC-550TB (Les Paul Custom)

You ever run across something when you're truly not even looking and that you totally don't need, but after seeing it, you can't get it out of your mind and you end up buying it? Yeah, that's what happened to me with this...

I have never liked burst Les Paul Customs and I also don't like gold hardware. But I clicked on this listing for whatever reason and it just immediately spoke to me (though, I must say this seller had it listed for WAY too high!). It just looked "right" in all the ways burst LPC's never have to me. The color, the top, the ebony fretboard...it just wowed me.

Conversation had with self (in my mind, not out loud!):

"Yeah it looks nice, but you got rid of that that 70's Aria Pro II LPC you had a few years because the neck was too thin."
    "Right, but the one I had in the 90's wasn't like that!"
    "Okay, I guess you can send a message and find out."

Message sent

Seller talked it up big it their reply to me (of course). I asked for neck measurements and they came back with a .89" at the first fret and an inch at the 12th.

Initially listed for over $1400 (which is insane), seller had recently updated the listing to $1100 (still insane). So I wrote them and said, that before the current pandemic led inflation situation, this guitar would have sold for $650 or so (the listing didn't have the model, but because the neck looked like ebony in the pics, it's not - it's unbelievably dark rosewood, I believed it to be an LC-750). I offered $800 which I felt was a fair post-inflation price for an LC-750.

They accepted, I paid, they shipped. A few days later, the guitar arrived.

Upon inspection, I realized that this was an LC-550, not a 750. However, the fretboard was so dark that I was okay with my mistake (it was my mistake, not the seller's). The seller was woefully incorrect about the neck measurements, though. Dunno if they were trying to sell me or if they measured on top of the strings at the 1st fret instead of underneath, but the real measurements are .810" at first fret and 1.08" at the 12th fret. These measurements are totally in line with the 1972-1974 Gibson LPC's these lovely guitars were modelled after. The other things that matter to me are all period correct as well...sandwhich/pancake body construction (mahogany/mahogany with a maple cap), 3 piece mahogany neck, long neck tenon, general knob placement, even the knobs themselves are the proper witch hats. So awesome.

Of note is that the guitar came with its original MIJ hardshell case (which is decidely NOT as good as its Gibson counterpart or any modern LP cases) and even its warranty card. I thought it extremely cool that the seller had kept these items all these years.

Anyway...after playing the guitar for a bit, I decided to go all out and upgrade/replace all the parts (they were a mixmatch of gold, nickel and chrome and I wanted all gold parts ala Gibson. Even though gold is not my deal, it just looks very right on this guitar. Wanting it to be all I felt it could be, I also decided to replace all the electronics (not interested in circuit board audio pot mounting, plus the pots were so old that when I went to take off the bridge volume knob, the pot broke):

Grover 502G Locking Tuners (drop-in replacements)
    Allparts keystone tuning key buttons
    Seymour Duncan APH-2S (Slash Signature Alnico II Pro) set
    Dunlop straplocks and Levys extra long cotton 2" black strap
    Tonepros AVR2P locking bridge (their drop-in replacement for an ABR-1 bridge)
    Tonepros locking studs
    Tone Ninja aluminum tailpiece (always wanted to try an aluminum tailpiece)
    CTS TAOT custom short shaft pots (525k)
    Switchcraft long straight toggle switch w/recessed nut deep nut
    Switchcraft output jack
    Vintage Forge gold jackplate
    Musiclily black humbucker ring mounting screws (the mounting screws were gold when they should have been black)

All the parts came in, I installed what I could and took the rest to my local tech (who is extremely good) for installation/guitar setup. The next day I picked up my finished guitar. My tech was literally gushing about the guitar when I went to pick it up ("this is the best guitar by far you have ever brought me! It was fun to put everything together and it setup really nicely").

I got it home and plugged in to put it through its paces. It felt great in my hands, but the core tone wasn't what I was hoping for. There was a certain nasally frequency I wasn't liking. I thought perhaps it was because of the maple cap...I'm used to all mahogany LPC's. Then I grabbed an old Junior Special I have with a Burstbucker 2 in it and realized that I had neglected to dial in the bridge pickup. So I grabbed my flathead and adjusted the 6 screws on the Slash bridge pickup to match the burstbucker 2 in the other guitar. Plugged it in and bam...there was the magic sound I was wanting!

I then played for the next 3 hours. I'm a happy boy. So much so that I even decided to spring for a Crossrock hard case.

Total investment (guitar, case, parts, tax, shipping, tech labor): $1683.79. I understand that this isn't some crazy great deal. But that's a grand or two less than an early 70's Gibson LPC in NOT great shape would be. The resale certainly won't be there, but that's okay with me. I've got something relatively special that feels and sounds like the real deal.

Guitars weighs exactly 9 lbs (not too shabby for an LPC).

PICS:

1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
    2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior
    2019 Gibson Original Collection Les Paul Special
    -------
    1979 Marshall JMP 2204
    1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
    2021 Epic Amplification AR50
    2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​

SCORE! I've worked on a lot of those back in the day - nice stuff, period.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by cliffenstein View Post
      You ever run across something when you're truly not even looking and that you totally don't need, but after seeing it, you can't get it out of your mind and you end up buying it? Yeah, that's what happened to me with this...
      We've all been there. My recent LP buy was somewhat similar. I was in a music store to get strings, saw the LP, knew I didn't need it but couldn't resist trying it. Also couldn't stop thinking about it from that moment until I bought it.

I have never liked burst Les Paul Customs and I also don't like gold hardware...It just looked "right" in all the ways burst LPC's never have to me. The color, the top, the ebony fretboard...it just wowed me.
      I share you sentiments towards burst LPC. Generally I prefer a lighter burst to a dark 2-tone/tobacco sunburst on a LP. But this Aria Pro II looks quite nice.

Guitars weighs exactly 9 lbs (not too shabby for an LPC).
      That's pretty impressive for a pancake bodied LP.
      "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

That is just beyond awesome!!!!!

Comment

What a fun project! These are universally well-regarded. And even though it was sort of expensive in the end, you got the guitar you want. Is it heavy?
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            What a fun project! These are universally well-regarded. And even though it was sort of expensive in the end, you got the guitar you want. Is it heavy?
            All said and done it is 9lbs exactly, which I don't think is bad for an LPC.
            -------
            1979 Marshall JMP 2204

Comment

Hard to go wrong with a Japanese rendition of the big names. Apart from being less expensive, they're very well made and work spending a bit more on upgrades, whether necessary or to taste. Some brands have gone up in price in recent years, but with others, like Aria and Fernandes, there's various models which are still relatively inexpensive.

Plain tops ftw. I agree about the gold, not something I'd go for either but on a Custom, it works.
              Originally posted by dominus
              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Looks like you got yourself a great looking and playing guitar! I’d say: well done sir!

Comment

sweetness!
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Dimebag played on in his early days. Sweet guitar.

Comment

LPs are not my thing, but that is one sexy mofo! Congrats!

Comment

Just a quick note to mention that since originally making this post, I have found out that my guitar is an LC-750TB, not a 550.
                        Last edited by cliffenstein; 08-14-2022, 08:32 PM.
                        -------
                        1979 Marshall JMP 2204

Comment

You found out about dialing in a pickup. That's the most important thing of all.

Comment

I just traded the 1977 Aria Pro II LC-750TB straight up for a 2018 Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Junior (the one with the acoustic pre war logo on it). As incredible of a guitar that the Aria Pro is (and it really is), my big hands just need that 50’s neck to feel truly comfortable.
                            -------
                            1979 Marshall JMP 2204

Comment

Let's see some pics of the LPJ!
                              Administrator of the SDUGF