No announcement yet.

Would you buy a Les Paul body and neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you buy a Les Paul body and neck?

Hell all.

I was cruising Fleabay recently when I came across a seller (I don't know if we name them here) that apparently parts out guitars and basses. Most of their stuff is made by Fender, so it' snot surprising to see that they sell necks and bodies along with pickups, tuners, and pickguards.

What surprised me was that they have a couple of Les Pauls for sale. They appear to be stripped Gibsons going for between 1100USD and 1400USD depending on the model.

Would you guys buy one of those, or would you stay away? I ask because they have a LP with a lightly flamed top in an ice tea burst that may or may not be calling my name.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

WAY overpriced, but if you're desperate to a build a Lester your way - have at it. Cheaper to buy a used one, part out the old stuff to pay for the new stuff.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Is there a market out there for used Gibson parts? Genuinely asking. I've never went hunting for 490's or 57 Classics.

Comment

I would think actual used Gibson parts would have more value than non-Gibson, but it isn't like you will pay for all the new parts that way.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
          Is there a market out there for used Gibson parts? Genuinely asking. I've never went hunting for 490's or 57 Classics.
          When swapped out my Les Paul pickups they went in days on Fleabay for my asking price. The same with my circuit board electronics from my Les Paul Lite. OEM Gibson stuff moves fast and is in demand.

Comment

Probably from Stratosphere. I find their prices to be a bit high for that stuff. They sell Allparts and Mighty Mite too. Got a Mighty Mite Tele body from them before. It wasn't overpriced but then again, it's not a Fender or Gibson.

Comment

I have an LP Trad Pro 2 in Iced Tea that I got for a great price years ago. I also build a lot of guitars and have collected a good size parts bin over the years.

I just bought an LP standard body from Stratosphere and I'm putting it together using all my spare parts. It's tobacco burst which is a color I greatly prefer over my very yellow/red version of Iced Tea. When I'm done it will probably cost about $1500 all in for a 2021 LP Standard. Tough to beat and then I can flip the Trad Pro for prob more than that. But to be fair, I already have pickups, tuners, pots, knobs, bridge. I'm really only buying the plastic parts.

Long boring story there but for the right situation it's not a bad deal to get what you want and customize it which I enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                Probably from Stratosphere. I find their prices to be a bit high for that stuff. They sell Allparts and Mighty Mite too. Got a Mighty Mite Tele body from them before. It wasn't overpriced but then again, it's not a Fender or Gibson.
                Yup. Stratosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
                  I have an LP Trad Pro 2 in Iced Tea that I got for a great price years ago. I also build a lot of guitars and have collected a good size parts bin over the years.

I just bought an LP standard body from Stratosphere and I'm putting it together using all my spare parts. It's tobacco burst which is a color I greatly prefer over my very yellow/red version of Iced Tea. When I'm done it will probably cost about $1500 all in for a 2021 LP Standard. Tough to beat and then I can flip the Trad Pro for prob more than that. But to be fair, I already have pickups, tuners, pots, knobs, bridge. I'm really only buying the plastic parts.

Long boring story there but for the right situation it's not a bad deal to get what you want and customize it which I enjoy.
                  That's what I was thinking. I have humbuckers, pots, and switches falling out of my rear. I'd need a bridge and tailpiece and *maybe* some tuners, depending on the hole size on the headstock.

Comment

there are a lot on there that do not make sense to me tho. I got a standard. I can put all the normal parts on it and resell it for a good amount if I don't love it for some reason.

they sell ones "for repair" with broken necks and only knock about $100 off the normal price. WTF?

And all the Trad Pro V's they sell for close to the same price as a standard.........just go buy the full guitar at guitar center.

Comment

Yeah, they usually seem overpriced.

Comment

Not likely

Comment

Anything you put on Ebay is selling right now, usually for a lot more than you paid for it.
                          Yes, there are people on Ebay who buy new guitars and immediately strip them down and sell the parts.
                          If you add up what it will cost you to buy all the parts you need to finish that Les Paul body/neck, my guess is you will be spending as much as you would just buying a complete one used.

Comment

Would I buy a Les Paul husk? Absolutely

Would I pay 1100 for one? No offing way. An LP classic goes for $1500 fully functional
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I was actually thinking about buying a husk as well. I need to check Ebay (blocked at work) but i am really digging those LP Trad Pro V in iced tea quite a bit. I think the price is not great but not bad, but It would be cool to make it something my own without worrying about the originality of it.
                              Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                              Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Working...
                              X