Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What pickups for HSS guitar ?? 80s 90s Glam / Hard rock / Blues sound ***

Hello!

I think its time to upgrade an old custom hss guitar ( with no name pickups... too "thin" for me ) with a pickup set in order to achieve an 80s 90s hard rock / fusion sound. I was about to put also in bridge and neck ... the SD 59' and as for the middle... i dont know... because to be honest i dont use it at all!

First i would like your opinion about 59' for neck and (also) bridge... but i would like to suggest me and other choices !

Thanx in advance

JB bridge

Honestly, the other two positions don't matter, but....

Lets go with a cool rails middle and a L'il 59 neck.

JB/Cool Rails/Lil 59

that will do everything you need.

Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      JB bridge

Honestly, the other two positions don't matter, but....

Lets go with a cool rails middle and a L'il 59 neck.

JB/Cool Rails/Lil 59

that will do everything you need.
      is it possible to put cover in these pickups ??

Comment

Originally posted by narcsoul View Post

is it possible to put cover in these pickups ??
        Nope. Love them as they are. If you want a classic look (and classic single coil sound, look at the Classic Stack STK-S4.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I say JB or Tone Zone bridge and a pair of SSL-6s neck + mid (or STK-S7 if you want noiseless singles). This will give you hot single coils with more mids than vintage ones, but that still sound like single coils . . . with a beefy 80s sounding bridge.

FWIW - if you want a '59 in the neck, can you route for a full sized bucker? The bigger '59 just sounds better than the little '59 in low and medium gain applications. The little one is muddier - they're about the same in very high gain stuff though.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

what about Lace Pickups Deluxe Plus Set.. ?

Comment

Originally posted by narcsoul View Post
              what about Lace Pickups Deluxe Plus Set.. ?
              Lace sensors are cool, but they have a very distinct, almost rubbery attack. That's not a bad thing, but you have to WANT that sound/feel.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Classic Stack Plus in the neck/middle, humbucker of choice in the bridge; Custom Custom, JB, Perpetual Burn, Custom, Screamin' Demon, whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
                  How many frets does your guitar have?
                  What type of neck joint?
                  24 frets ... fender strat joint

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

Neck pickups sometimes sound markedly different in 24-fret guitars vs 21- or 22-fret models, due to where that pickup can be placed. Neck joints can sometimes impact the sound as well.
                    Yeah, way different. It depends what you want out of a neck pickup.

Comment

I would probably go Custom or Custom Custom depending on the guitar in the bridge, then probably Cool Rails in the neck and middle, I don't like the polepieces on the lil' pickups. The CR is very similar, maybe a little cleaner than the lil' 59. I like the JB, it's just not super versatile.

Or, if you want DMZ, Norton bridge, Fast Track 1 middle, and Chopper neck. I currently have that in one of mine.

Or, if I'm misunderstanding you and you don't like the rails and want dual rows of polepieces, put a lil' 59 in the neck and middle. Or, if you want the real single coil look, go with Mincer's suggestion of the classic stacks.

Comment

jb bridge for the glam and hard rock stuff seems like an easy choice. what kinda blues are you talking about? single coil or humbucker tone? three knob setup or mv.mt?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          jb bridge for the glam and hard rock stuff seems like an easy choice. what kinda blues are you talking about? single coil or humbucker tone? three knob setup or mv.mt?
                          3 knobs setup and a single coil splitter for bridge ........as for the blues sound.... lets say " gary moore" sound

Comment

Guys, recommend one of the beauties
                            Last edited by mIgaMiGA; 01-20-2022, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mIgaMiGA View Post
                              Guys, recommend one of the beauties
                              Odd first post. Please explain.

Comment

Working...
                              X