V bracing on Taylor acoustics guitars and strumming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V bracing on Taylor acoustics guitars and strumming

Are Taylor guitars with V bracing good for strumming? Particularly the grand auditorium models. I heard that V bracing is mainly good for fingerstyle playing.

i think they sound fine for strumming. i dont find taylors the best for heavy handed players though, speaking as a heavy handed player who owns some taylors

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      i dont find taylors the best for heavy handed players though, speaking as a heavy handed player who owns some taylors
      Most Taylors are smaller bodied guitars (smaller than a typical dread), and generally I think that smaller bodied guitars tend not to work as well for heavy strumming. The bigger bodied grand symphony that they make is awesome for heavy handed players . . . or at least that was my impression checking one out.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

i think they sound fine for strumming. i dont find taylors the best for heavy handed players though, speaking as a heavy handed player who owns some taylors
        What models do you own?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Most Taylors are smaller bodied guitars (smaller than a typical dread), and generally I think that smaller bodied guitars tend not to work as well for heavy strumming. The bigger bodied grand symphony that they make is awesome for heavy handed players . . . or at least that was my impression checking one out.
          My lord would I love a Grand Orchestra.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

What models do you own?
            currently an 814, ns72, and 410, but ive had a few others and played a ton of em over the years. great instruments but at some point you give the guitar more, and it has nothing more to give. if you arent heavy handed, you never hit that ceiling.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

My lord would I love a Grand Orchestra.
              Check out the Grand Auditorium or better yet, the Grand Pacific.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Check out the Grand Auditorium or better yet, the Grand Pacific.
                It’s the 618ce, I love it.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I own a 518CE which is a Grand Auditorium and it’s a fantastic guitar.

Comment

I like the GA body shape that Taylor makes (it's the Taylor I bought), but because of the smaller size of the body I wouldn't recommend it to a heavy strummer. When I get excited it kinda craps out where it just can't give any more before my strumming hand runs out of juice Works great for fingerpicking to medium strumming though.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I think V bracing is just another marketing scheme from Andy Powers. I have had many Taylors on my bench through the decades - off the rack stuff, and custom order stuff. Only one or two off the rack guitars did anything for me. The most memorable was a 12 fretter with ebony back and sides that had a very special tone. The custom orders are super nice looking, and sounding. They all required some fret work to meet the demands of the owners.

For the bulk of the guitar playing populace, they are fine (but so were Ovations for many years). If I wanted one - I'd have it. So yeah, I think they are an over rated brand.
                      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Glad that I saw this post. I was considering one, but I like to get heavy handed.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I tend to think of Martin D18s & D28s along with Gibson AJs and J45s for good strummers (with the Hummingbird getting a nod as well) and Taylors as better for finger style but that is just my take on them. To my ears, and it is a massive generalization, Martins tend to sound warmer and Taylors tend to sound brighter.

I just ordered a Taylor 714CE with a Cedar top. The early 2000's had Cedar tops and I let one too many pass by without buying them. I will be curious to see how the V bracing on the newer one sounds compared to the old ones.

To me, the 700 series are Taylors best sounding line–can handle strumming and finger picking extremely well. But I am not a heavy handed strummer so that series probably is not what you would think is a perfect fit.

Comment

Well, the Taylor is back in consideration. I like bright.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              Well, the Taylor is back in consideration. I like bright.

Its funny, I always thought of the Taylors 600s as bright and amazing articulation–but Taylor describes the modern version as "our maple guitars have been revoiced and paired with specially seasoned spruce to produce a richer, warmer sound."

So maybe I'm not the best source. lol That being said, I still typically think of a Maple back and side acoustic as being on the bright end.

I still think you should check out some Taylors, to my ears they tend to be brighter, but would also recommend Takamine as they have some great sounding acoustics that probably won't break the bank.

Comment

Working...
                              X