Les Paul Locking Tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul Locking Tuners

What locking tuners are you using on you Gibson Les Paul? I’m ready to get a set for my 2005 Standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

I would like to see where this goes I am thinking about a set myself.

Comment

Personally, I like the Grovers. The locking knob is easy to turn, and doesn't hurt my fingers like the one on Sperzels.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Les Pauls don't need LT IMO.

Comment

SO?
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

My 2010 Standard (2008 model) has locking grovers. Takes no time to change strings. I can't say it helps intonation, because I don't have a problem with that generally, but it sure makes string changes a breeze.

Comment

If you're having tuning problems on a Les Paul, I'd be more likely to examine the nut and/or saddles for issues.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

My 2009 Traditional Pro has the Grovers with the metal tulip buttons. Great tuners.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                  Les Pauls don't need LT IMO.
                  I bend a lot and bend deep. Anything that helps me tune less live is great. Also, I am thinking about putting a Floyd on my Les Paul Lite. I don't want to put a locking nut on the guitar.

Comment

They would be worth it just for string changes.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I bend a lot and bend deep. Anything that helps me tune less live is great. Also, I am thinking about putting a Floyd on my Les Paul Lite. I don't want to put a locking nut on the guitar.
                      Blaspheme.
                      I play .011 to .056 bend like a MoFo and still have no need for LT's.
                      I had a Les Paul Standard w/ locking Grovers and found them annoying as hell and i had to modify the low E tuner just to accommodate my string gauge.
                      Like G force tuners Gibson has players brainwashed they can't tune a guitar.
                      I even have .011 to .056 on a Custom Strat w/a trem and still don't need locking tuners.
                      And i got into aspat w/a local guitar tech where he told me i only need 1/2 a wind on a locking tuner.
                      I prefer at least 3 winds locking or not for tuning stability with .011 to .056 D'Addarios.
                      If you line up the holes on your tuning posts [non-locking] in the 9 oclock to 3 oclock [guitar straight up and down] and bend the string at a 90 degree angle and bend the loose end at another 90 opposite then you wind the string on the post and stretch the string once up to pitch and LUBE YOUR NUTTS that string isn't going anywhere.
                      Save you money.
                      A OFR w/o a locking nut isn't a proper Floyd, it will never stay in tune regardless.
                      Last edited by JMP/HBE; 02-21-2022, 07:09 PM.

Comment

I've got Grover locking tuners on two of mine. Love them.
                        https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                          I've got Grover locking tuners on two of mine. Love them.
                          Good to know I have Grovers on the LP with the Bigsby and would love a straight replacement.

Comment

Was never about tuning for me...it is about fast string changes.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Was never about tuning for me...it is about fast string changes.
                              Yeah, I could see the faster string change thing.

I don't think locking tuners help with your tuning at all. Tuning issues that I've run into never end up coming down to the tuners that are on the guitar. Even super cheap tuners tend to hold the string pretty well. Nut issues (and occasionally the bridge) are usually the culprit - once the nut/bridge get setup perfectly problems with tuning just go away.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X