Ibanez goes ultra fancy – Hoshino USA 50th anniversary limiteds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez goes ultra fancy – Hoshino USA 50th anniversary limiteds

While the number of new model releases was pretty small, they seem to have been working on some limited one-offs which are now released. As most folk know, Ibanez is the guitar brand owned by the Hoshino corporation, which in the early 70s opened an office in the US, and now being celebrated with fancy guitars:

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/special/5...ary/index.html, https://www.ibanez.com/usa/special/5...0-guitars.html

Some disambiguation about places which build Ibanez stuff (excluding China, Indonesia, Korea):

Fujigen: regular Japan production – currently doing Genesis, J-Line, Prestige and J. Custom.
    LACS (LA custom shop): has been around for a long time – builds guitars for artists, as well as some limited models in the past, like the American Master series.
    JPCS (Japan custom shop): builds prototypes.
    Sugi: another small custom shop building under its own name and for other brands. Re. Ibanez: some J. Customs and other limiteds like the Jem Evo relics and the Passion & Warfare UVs.

Some cool models, imo. Nothing necessarily new/revolutionary (some look like regular Prestige), but build quality and materials are no doubt off the charts, a lot of the focus seems to be on details like pups, neck shapes, metal tops, carbon fibre etc. I was (pleasantly) shocked they remade the Roadstar, maybe the most expensive one that's ever been .

Yes, the prices are a bit bonkers, but each instrument if 1 of 1, and they're essentially pitched at collectors. Still, nice pron.
    Originally posted by dominus
    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Trogly's just posted a great video exploring some of these high zoot works of art...

Ibanez You Have My Attention! | INSANE Custom Shop Collection Announced 50th Anniversary Hoshino USA - YouTube

As a longtime Ibanez fanboy since the late 70's, these beauties really appeal to my senses... But I can't afford them.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Oooh, pretty!
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Man I do love some of those finishes but no way in the world could I afford even the cheapest of them.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Ibanez certainly has their own thing going on, don't they? Sadly none of these are likely to see a stage.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The wind shear S seies JPCS really stunned me! cool concept, wild look.

Comment

I like several, but the top thickness of the LACS10 and 11 is insane. I can feel the weight just from looking.

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
              Trogly's just posted a great video exploring some of these high zoot works of art...

Ibanez You Have My Attention! | INSANE Custom Shop Collection Announced 50th Anniversary Hoshino USA - YouTube

As a longtime Ibanez fanboy since the late 70's, these beauties really appeal to my senses... But I can't afford them.
              Oh cool, I'll check that out.

Yes, I figured you'd dig 'em . Indeed, we can just dream. I also like that they've added some build pics of each one.
              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

More ridiculously priced guitars for collectors not players...ho hum.

Comment

Hopefully some of these designs will 'trickle down' to less expensive models.

Comment

^^ It's possible that there might be particular features which could come up on regular models. No doubt these will be wall hanger/glass case items, as you say, which is a pity, as they'd pop on stage. Some of these are kinda similar to what's been available in Prestige or J. Custom format. Stuff like burl/resin tops has been offered for the past few years.

Prices a reflective of the exclusivity of run, format and showing off, it would be more of a scandal if it was a regular production thing and they tagged it as 10k. Anyway, most people who might want an Ibanez think of the RG550, the flagship (like LP for Gibson, Strat for Fender), which is one of the best bang for buck models they've offered for several years.

I think it's more of a bummer that Ibanez doesn't have a custom shop like ESP or Kiesel, open to anyone with appropriately sized pockets where you could spec out an order. There are loads of legacy models which have been discontinued for yonks (e.g. Maxxas, Radius, Power and so on), which, if you had the cash (it would be pricey, though maybe not as much as these limiteds), you could splurge on.

Comment

This may be a test market for ultra-high end Ibanez models. There certainly is a market there- they don't have to sell many.

Comment

Indeed, the market is there. Having these ultra limited releases, apart from showing off spec, materials and build quality, is also designed get people talking and sharing ('yo, chk out what Ibanez did') like we're doing here.

The J. Customs are the highest end Fujigen made guitars, which were introduced around 1996 as a kind of replacement for the occasional American made stuff that would be released in the earl-mid 90s. The various JCs are typically made in limited quantity; no idea of the numbers but it's not many, and the prices also reflect that. The fact that the line has been maintained all these years speaks for itself. If stuff isn't selling, they'd pull it, like any other model that's a regular release. Of course, you can't spec one yourself (I think a dealer can, though).

These Hoshino guitars are a kind of peek into the highest echelons of Ibanez, like if you're Satch, Vai or Gilbert, this is who's building your guitars.

Comment

At minimum, I find inspiration in these guitars. I'll never own or play one, but that's okay.
                          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

The LACS5 Iceman is breathtaking but.... seriously?

"Inlays: Block Pearloid / Abalone"

As in Mother of Toilet Seat? C'mon gimme a break...

Comment

Who needs bling? Bring back the classics: RG550, 560, 570, 655, 565, 770DX, Jem 77FP, 777LNG, SK, DY with maple fretboard, DiMarzios, and Edge/ Lo Pro Edge trems. And of course, that vintage Jem case with pink plush interior.

Comment

Working...
                              X