banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever take a drill to their Les Paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever take a drill to their Les Paul?

So..... I ordered some Gotoh locking tuners for my newest Gibby.
    turns out it was the first time I didn't double check the peg hole sizes before I ordered!! FML! I'm am idiot...

And since I'm also an impatient idiot....

So.... I looked online and got the diameter... I had a drill bit close enough.... Eyeballed the depth and put a lock on the bit..... Carefully carefully used my best judgement and drilled the peg holes out in 2 stages.

Either I'm skilled, I'm a complete idiot, or I have giant steel cajones!
    I am completely ok with any assessment you deem fitting..

Pics of tonight's excitement in the garage!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220228_182544626_compress65.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	6155151 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220228_183934454_compress13.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	6155152
    these suckers stumped me for a while, didn't feel comfortable hammering them out... I finally figured out that they are splined in... So I had to tap pretty hard..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220228_191008154_compress24.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	6155153 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220228_193213613_compress76.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	6155154 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220228_194359002_compress47.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	6155155

Success!!!
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

I've used a hand reamer a couple of times for enlarging holes for tuners or pots.
    Takes a little longer but reduces the likelihood of mishaps.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Use a violin reamer if you can find one - only has 1 or 2 flutes, won't turn the round hole into a hexagon like a standard machinists reamer with 6 flutes.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

80's you got balls

Comment

This is the kind of mod I certainly like!
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It's the kind of mod I enjoy watching someone else do.

Comment

I am about to pass out...lol.
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                80's you got balls
                "And I'm just itching to tell you about them"

Comment

You got lucky it didn’t split the headstock at one of the tuner holes. Happened to me when I tried to do the same thing some years back. Thankfully it was a cheap guitar and the break was clean enough that I was able to repair it and wasn’t seen afterwards. I will never do that again without using a reamer. It doesn’t take much to make the hole bigger.

How’s the weight of those Gotoh’s? The Grovers I got for my Classic Vibe went back for their weight and they also loosened up after tightening them down and tuning up. Made a couple strings slip. I slapped non-locking Gotoh vintage style tuners on it. The Grovers on my Les Paul have never had that issue.
                  Last edited by ErikH; 02-28-2022, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Nice mod, and like others have said, I think you got lucky. I always use a reamer.

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                    Use a violin reamer if you can find one - only has 1 or 2 flutes, won't turn the round hole into a hexagon like a standard machinists reamer with 6 flutes.
                    I've never had that problem using a 6-flute chassis reamer. But then again, I always do it by hand. Never a power tool.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                      You got lucky it didn’t split the headstock at one of the tuner holes. Happened to me when I tried to do the same thing some years back. Thankfully it was a cheap guitar and the break was clean enough that I was able to repair it and wasn’t seen afterwards. I will never do that again without using a reamer. It doesn’t take much to make the hole bigger.

How’s the weight of those Gotoh’s? The Grovers I got for my Classic Vibe went back for their weight and they also loosened up after tightening them down and tuning up. Made a couple strings slip. I slapped non-locking Gotoh vintage style tuners on it. The Grovers on my Les Paul have never had that issue.
                      The weight is beautiful on these. I'm never one to complain about neck dive, I'm usually bouncing around so much I don't even notice it. But this one does Not neck dive at all.
                      I feel as though it was a much needed upgrade. This guitar actually held tune (which is my first Gibson with these deluxe crap tuners that ever did hold tune) but asthetically it was huge improvement. Plus now ...locking! Way easier string changes.

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post

The weight is beautiful on these. I'm never one to complain about neck dive, I'm usually bouncing around so much I don't even notice it. But this one does Not neck dive at all.
                        I feel as though it was a much needed upgrade. This guitar actually held tune (which is my first Gibson with these deluxe crap tuners that ever did hold tune) but asthetically it was huge improvement. Plus now ...locking! Way easier string changes.
                        That's good. I was surprised the Grovers weighed what they did. While smooth operating, the issues I had with them were a no-go. I doubt I'll change the tuners on my Dean ML (Grover non-locking) but if I do, the Gotoh's might be an option. I don't really play it enough to justify the change though.

Comment

No. Kluson to Grover need to ream the hole. [that's what she said]
                          But i replaced some tuners on a 85 Tokai and when i went to remove the old bushings from the headstock it ripped the headstock veneer.
                          Was able to fix that and ended up just using the old bushings with the new tuners.
                          The older your guitar the greater the chance to F it up.
                          Experience matters. You wouldn't think a nut replacement on a Gibson is a big deal but it really is.
                          Totally easy to screw that up.
                          Ive had friends for years tell me i should work on guitars & amps for a living.
                          No thanks because when you screw things up you gotta pay for it.
                          Last edited by JMP/HBE; 03-01-2022, 09:21 AM.

Comment

You got VERY lucky, especially using a hand drill instead of a drill press!

If you knew all of the possibilities of things that could go wrong, and you did this the way you did anyway...I'd say you got balls.
                            If you just did this without really knowing anything, I'd say you were just dumb (actually really stupid) lucky.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I've only done this with a hand reamer...I'd be scared to use a drill, especially on a tilt-back headstock.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X