banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever take a drill to their Les Paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have some skills. I did understand the risks.
    I was settled on a 30% chance I'd snap the headstock off especially using a hand drill.
    My dad's got all kinds of tools and lathes and mills etc but I didn't want to drag it over there.
    I knew if I was really careful I'd be done in the time it would take to drive over to dad's.
    I just went for it.

I certainly would not recommend anyone do it this way.

I did use a locking collar on the bits to keep them from cracking out the face. Really only needed the holes widened at the backside to fit the new tuners in.

If it broke, I would just take it over and then glue it up... No big to me. This guitar is a keeper so I'll set it up how I want it.

Now she's got a black winter in her and sounding just about perfect!

Very pleased.
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Power tools can be risky.

An old friend of mine had a band in NYC called the Power Tools.
      Always though that was a great band name.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Glad you got the job done with no bad accidents. Also glad that it is such a great ("perfect") guitar for you.

ps: I don't think you had much of a worry of snapping the headstock off, just possibly splitting it at the tuner holes or chipping out the hole too big to hide with the new tuners.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. Looks sweet.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

Ha ha ha that made me laugh, I sent it to my mom this how dad ... He can run a lathe, but not a smart phone!

Comment

"Sent it to my mom to show dad".... Wish we could just edit a post!!

This 503 error is about to piss me off for the last time....

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
              Are your friends, by any chance, Nelson under pseudonym?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post

Are your friends, by any chance, Nelson under pseudonym?

Ha! Had no idea that was Nelson - with guitar solos by Dweezil - or that they went by the nom-de-film Power Tool.

Power Tools was earlier than that, around '79 or '80. He's had some other cool bands over the years: Shove, the Bag Dads (that was long before the Gulf wars), and one called Johnson.
                We were in a band called Immaculate Hearts in the late 80s, with drummer Dee Pop and singer Freddie Pompeii.

Will be playing a few songs from the Hearts together next week, a show at Bowery Electric on the 13th.
                It's a twenty-band extravaganza in memory of Dee, who passed away last October.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                  Anyone ever take a drill to their forum?

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                    "Sent it to my mom to show dad".... Wish we could just edit a post!!

The default theme has less errors, if that helps.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Looks like you got it done just fine. Good job.

Comment

I used a drill to rout out a hole for middle pickup in a Gibson SG Standard. I'm crap at stuff like that but it worked and looked great.
                        My website - https://stevenamckay.com/

My gear - Gibson- Les Pauls - 2 x Classic (sunburst and ebony), Slash Standard, DC Special Tribute, SG Standard, Explorer, Flying V. 1980 Hamer Sunburst.
                        MIM Fender Strat. MIK Squier Tele. Jackson JDR94, Kelly, Concert Bass. Fender acoustic. Mandolin.
                        Spark Mini, Marshall DSL20HR, 1912.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
                          I used a drill to rout out a hole for middle pickup in a Gibson SG Standard. I'm crap at stuff like that but it worked and looked great.
                          I don't trust my skills enough to do surgery like that.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I use a drill press to do these kinds of things. First, ream the hole to the right size front and back, then use a forstner bit and not a bradpoint bit to drill. The reaming will give your bit a recess to 'sit' and and won't wonder if you drill.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I don't trust my skills enough to do surgery like that.
                              If you look at it like it's just a plain old 2x4 it takes a lot of the stress off....

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                                Nice mod, and like others have said, I think you got lucky.

Comment

Working...
                                X