Tubes For a Rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes For a Rectifier

What are the best tubes to put in a 50 watt mesa rectifier if i play heavy, dark chord progressions, along with metallica-style solos and smooth cleans?

Re: Tubes For a Rectifier

Originally posted by HolyDirt
    What are the best tubes to put in a 50 watt mesa rectifier if i play heavy, dark chord progressions, along with metallica-style solos and smooth cleans?
    Are you talking preamp tubes, or the output tubes? Are you using 6L6s or EL34?

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I have the Series II Single Rect, I chose to drop in a pair of JJ6L6GC power tubes and it was a great improvement over stock. My preamp tubes are waiting to be replaced.
      57 VOS Les Paul Goldtop
      62 Thin Skin Stratocaster
      Mesa Boogie Lone Star 212
      Baby Taylor
      sigpic

Comment

JJ ECC83S (12AX7) preamp tubes are the best inexpensive new production option out there for you IMO.

the new Groove Tube mullard-copies 12AX7-M tubes are very nice and I like them better than the JJ's, but they are also twice as expensive.

Most folks will tell you that you have to experiement with different brand tubes. Just because one is 4 times as much as the other doesn't mean it's going to sound 4x as good in your amp.

I'd have to defer to someone that plays Mesa rect amps to come in and tell you what they like in there amps. I no longer have any Mesas here.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
          Are you talking preamp tubes, or the output tubes? Are you using 6L6s or EL34?

John
          oh, sorry, i'm talking power tubes, 6l6's. dont they have to have a low tolerance(+-%) for a rectifier because of the whole mesa biasing thing?

Comment

I like Shuguang 9th gen 12AX7's in my Mark IV. They're real cheap and they sound as good if not better than other current production stuff I've tried (although I haven't tried that GT Mullard copy yet!). JJ ECC83-S's will be more smooth, though, but I prefer to hear as much crunch as possible. I'd definitely go with EL34's for Metallica...JJ's would be my preference.
            Last edited by mrid; 05-22-2004, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I'd put Svetlana =C= winged C 6L6's, and GT12AX7C's (I think those are the 9th Gen Shuguang that MRID mentioned). I wonder why Mesa doesn't choose a tube set like that, rather than using midgrade tubes. For as much as their amps are, they should come like that, stock.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

For a Recto?

JJ/Telsa or Sovtek for power tubes.

EHX or JJ/Telsa for the preamp.

Just my opinion.
                || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

So you guys, can you sum up pls what you like about the JJ etc?
                  Last edited by Marcel; 05-23-2004, 05:40 AM.
                  RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                  TS 7 (modded)
                  Hot Rod 50+ XL
                  Framus Dragon 4x12
                  V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel
                    So you guys, can you sum up pls what you like about the JJ etc?
                    Tight bottom end, not muddy, sweet top end, great overdrive. It's a toss up between JJ's and the winged C Svetlanas for me (which I'm currently using).

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
                      Tight bottom end, not muddy, sweet top end, great overdrive.
                      That about sums it up.
                      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                        That about sums it up.
                        And the price is right.
                        57 VOS Les Paul Goldtop
                        62 Thin Skin Stratocaster
                        Mesa Boogie Lone Star 212
                        Baby Taylor
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                          For a Recto?

JJ/Telsa or Sovtek for power tubes.

EHX or JJ/Telsa for the preamp.

Just my opinion.
                          I have heard good things about the Sovtek WXT+, and I wasn't disappointed when I tried a pair in my Mark IV. The JJ ECC83-S's are quite popular for taming an over-the-top preamp section, such as in the 5150's and Recto's. If you've ever felt that the Recto is "fizzy," definitely give the JJ preamp tubes a try.

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
                            Tight bottom end, not muddy, sweet top end, great overdrive. It's a toss up between JJ's and the winged C Svetlanas for me (which I'm currently using).
                            sounds nice!!
                            how are the sovtek 5881? they are in my amp at the moment.
                            RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                            TS 7 (modded)
                            Hot Rod 50+ XL
                            Framus Dragon 4x12
                            V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Sovtek 5881 (6L6) isn't bad. If they're still fresh there's no reason to change them.
                              However, you may very well notice a difference if you put Svetlana or JJ 6L6's in.
                              It just 'wakes up' your amp.
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                              X