Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    Sweet score! I’m more than a little envious!
    Congrats!!

Leave a comment:

• formula73
    replied
    Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

My 1976 Greco has Japan Maxon pups which are A-8 magnets the same pickups that was in EVH's Ibanez Shark guitar. They are outstanding.
    That they are. I have a set of crusty old Super 70s that I stuck in a Dean Z and they’re staying.

Leave a comment:

• ErikH
    replied
    Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

3 cats in da house trying to minimize cat hair infestation. The cats are definitely worth it for us but the hair gets everywhere no matter what.
    I am with you on that. We have 3 cats as well. Had golden/lab for 13/14 years too and she shed like crazy. It's definitely lighter with just the 3 cats and 2 of them really shed. The youngest one not a lot. But yeah, I get it.

And that is a sweet Greco. Looks like those DiMarzios are old PAF's. I love the old design before they changed to the 36th Anniversary.

Leave a comment:

• JMP/HBE
    replied
    Originally posted by devastone View Post
    Nice score, sweet looking LP!

Looks like all your amps just got out of the shower, not sure how comfortable I am with these locker room shots.
    3 cats in da house trying to minimize cat hair infestation. The cats are definitely worth it for us but the hair gets everywhere no matter what.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied
    Nice score, sweet looking LP!

Looks like all your amps just got out of the shower, not sure how comfortable I am with these locker room shots.

Leave a comment:

• Bogner
    replied
    Nice ride!

Leave a comment:

• JMP/HBE
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    What were the original pickups in these guitars like?
    My 1976 Greco has Japan Maxon pups which are A-8 magnets the same pickups that was in EVH's Ibanez Shark guitar. They are outstanding.

Leave a comment:

• formula73
    replied
    Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
    ^^ Yes, though I think Dry-Z was a couple of years after the op's guitar, intended for the 'as close as possible' Burst renditions. In the 70s, Greco had the U series humbuckers (U1000-4000), many of which were indeed PAFish and predecessors of the Dry-Z and others.
    Yep, and they were all made by Maxxon and overall, really similar aside from magnets.

Leave a comment:

• Ashurbanipal
    replied
    ^^ Yes, though I think Dry-Z was a couple of years after the op's guitar, intended for the 'as close as possible' Burst renditions. In the 70s, Greco had the U series humbuckers (U1000-4000), many of which were indeed PAFish and predecessors of the Dry-Z and others.

Leave a comment:

• formula73
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Low output, earliest versions of PAF clones. 7.7kish, alnico-whatever-they-had-laying around lol

I think Grecos had Dry-Zs as their top-tier PAF clone. Burny had VH-1s, and Ibanez had Super 70s, then Super 58s.
    Last edited by formula73; 04-28-2022, 02:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ashurbanipal
    replied
    The original pups would've been made by Maxon. Which ones would depend on the guitar model, but a lot were built like PAFs (nickel baseplates, maple spacers, braided wire), though they used a variety of magnets - A5, 8, ceramic.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JMP/HBE
    replied

The DiMarzio bridge bucker had to go. Replaced with SD Alnico Pro II i had on hand, the neck will be replaced with a SH-1 59 when i can.
    The DiMarzios had a huge bottom end that was just too much.
    The DiMarzios were not that original pups. Neck & bridge stock pups are long gone.

Leave a comment:

• d1dsj
    replied
    Very cool guitars!

Leave a comment:

• JMP/HBE
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X