Gibson v Dean trial to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by playas View Post
    I haven't seen the full details of this yet, but what's the story with the SG design?

Do they have to pay out to Yamaha for designing it for them as they robbed the original design and now suing Dean for doing less?
    I think it has to deal with the Splittail which is half SG.

Comment

• One more funny thing about the Dean headstock design.... doesn't it create more opportunity for binding in the nut with such a wide splay to the tuners? Especially with a trem system (I know its a vibrato turds ...lol).

I would think if they wanted a radical headstock statement they would consider this.... or maybe it's not a big deal? but people b*itch about Gibson's headstock splay and it's not as close to as extreme as Dean's
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

• Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
        One more funny thing about the Dean headstock design.... doesn't it create more opportunity for binding in the nut with such a wide splay to the tuners? Especially with a trem system (I know its a vibrato turds ...lol).

I would think if they wanted a radical headstock statement they would consider this.... or maybe it's not a big deal? but people b*itch about Gibson's headstock splay and it's not as close to as extreme as Dean's
        Gibson should sue them for trying to counterfeit their messed up headstock design and tuning problems...

Comment

• Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Gibson should sue them for trying to counterfeit their messed up headstock design and tuning problems...
          HAAHAHAHAAHHAHA -Suit: Gibson Suing Dean for stealing their already flawed headstock splay and Dean doubling down and making it radically more problematic than what people already wont shut up about GIbson for....
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

HAAHAHAHAAHHAHA -Suit: Gibson Suing Dean for stealing their already flawed headstock splay and Dean doubling down and making it radically more problematic than what people already wont shut up about GIbson for....
            Though joking aside, I guess angling the nut slots can ease some the path of the string. Never had one, so dunno whether they really do it or not. Is they do, worst case it is only as bad as a Gibson. Which then still warrants a suit...

Comment

• I can't say I've noticed a tuning issue with my Dean. I keep the slots clean and filed smooth so there is no binding anywhere. Same with my Gibson.

Comment

• Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Though joking aside, I guess angling the nut slots can ease some the path of the string. Never had one, so dunno whether they really do it or not. Is they do, worst case it is only as bad as a Gibson. Which then still warrants a suit...
                I think most people agree, this below is the proper approach (unless you go headless)

-but is so ugly -we are willing to suffer some binding issues.....

Comment

• 6 in-line solves that problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                    I can't say I've noticed a tuning issue with my Dean. I keep the slots clean and filed smooth so there is no binding anywhere. Same with my Gibson.
                    I normally dont either -I use nut lube on all my headstock with a angled splay.. and graphtech on some as well

But people b*tch about Gibson with regards to this design issue but I never hear people point out that if you suffer these issues with Gibbys.... technically Deans will be even more problematic from a design stand point.

Comment

I think most people agree, this below is the proper approach (unless you go headless)

Good price, well made, ugly . . . that's like the Godin slogan.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I normally dont either -I use nut lube on all my headstock with a angled splay.. and graphtech on some as well

But people b*tch about Gibson with regards to this design issue but I never hear people point out that if you suffer these issues with Gibbys.... technically Deans will be even more problematic from a design stand point.
                        Yup. On my Gibson, I smooth out the back outer edges of the G and D strings so there's not a sharp corner for the string. Now it's rounded and the strong glides right over it. That and I swipe a pencil through all the slots every string change or if I haven't played it in a while. Stays in tune fine. I haven't played the Dean in a good while but I haven't messed with the nut much other than smoothing out the slots with some 1000 grit wrapped around the string with light tension.

Comment

Goddamit NegE, I just had dinner...

I say slap on a locking nut and enjoy the messed up design.

Comment

• Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Good price, well made, ugly . . . that's like the Godin slogan.
                            They are great value guitars -sound great.

Comment

One more funny thing about the Dean headstock design.... doesn't it create more opportunity for binding in the nut with such a wide splay to the tuners? Especially with a trem system (I know its a vibrato turds ...lol).

Having 6 Cadillacs and a couple of V's - yes it does.

Dean doesn't really make any non-locking trim guitars, so non issue.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

• Originally posted by Securb View Post
                                Dean left to imagine their own designs can turn into nightmares.

Stage guitar for wannabee Kiss axeman.

Comment

Working...
                                X