banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson v Dean trial to start

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Back on topic, please.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Mincer View Post

      Gibson doesn't care. They just want to win, and scare other companies.
      Hey - here is an idea Gibson....just spitballing here, but maybe toss this around the board room:

      Make REALLY REALLY good guitars, classics and moderns, at really competitive prices. Maybe channel all that Lawyer money into Quality, modern production, and reducing costs for customers while maintaining margins. Bah - what do I know.....
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Aceman View Post

        Hey - here is an idea Gibson....just spitballing here, but maybe toss this around the board room:

        Make REALLY REALLY good guitars, classics and moderns, at really competitive prices. Maybe channel all that Lawyer money into Quality, modern production, and reducing costs for customers while maintaining margins. Bah - what do I know.....
        I would agree with this. But they clearly know there is a market for ultra high end instruments for by people who will rarely play them. That is baked into their business model. Let's face it, most of their customers are guitar fans, not musicians. I love my Gibson, but it is an 40-year-old, not-widely-respected model. I am priced out of their instruments these days, even though I am technically a Gibson artist.
        Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Aceman View Post

          Hey - here is an idea Gibson....just spitballing here, but maybe toss this around the board room:

          Make REALLY REALLY good guitars, classics and moderns, at really competitive prices. Maybe channel all that Lawyer money into Quality, modern production, and reducing costs for customers while maintaining margins. Bah - what do I know.....
          You're asking them to do something that they have no experience with though . . . that would require total ground up changes to the company.


          :P
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

          Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Mincer View Post

            I would agree with this. But they clearly know there is a market for ultra high end instruments for by people who will rarely play them. That is baked into their business model. Let's face it, most of their customers are guitar fans, not musicians. I love my Gibson, but it is an 40-year-old, not-widely-respected model. I am priced out of their instruments these days, even though I am technically a Gibson artist.
            I'm not priced out of their range - but I don't buy them either. (one exception, obvious reasons - no apologies!)
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Mincer View Post

              I am priced out of their instruments these days, even though I am technically a Gibson artist.
              You just have to shop smart and look for deals there are plenty of $400 Les Paul Standards out there.



              | Gear Reviews | Beer | Babes | The Internet's Only Unedited & Uncensored Musician's Forum | Sports |

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Securb View Post

                You just have to shop smart and look for deals there are plenty of $400 Les Paul Standards out there.

                Or $300 Goldtops ..

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Mincer View Post

                  I would agree with this. But they clearly know there is a market for ultra high end instruments for by people who will rarely play them. That is baked into their business model. Let's face it, most of their customers are guitar fans, not musicians. I love my Gibson, but it is an 40-year-old, not-widely-respected model. I am priced out of their instruments these days, even though I am technically a Gibson artist.
                  No doubt a reason why there are fewer more prominent artists in their roster under 45/50 . Can only think of JJN, Marcus King, Halestorm, the guy from Greta Van Fleet... I guess when it comes moving units, that's what Epiphone is for.

                  Also agree with Ace – could put that money into stuff like qc, people's wages etc. Ideal hypotheticals, of course .
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    This whole thing is quite senseless...even if Gibson wins every trademark or copyright infringement case they win NOTHING. Players these days will buy the instruments they like at the price they want to pay regardless of the body or headstock shape (Ibabez, Kramer, Fender, etc. are in business BECAUSE they don't look like Gibson at Gibson prices). Yes, there will always be some who will buy the name, and that is what keeps Gibson in the marketplace, but it's NOT because they can't buy that headstock or body shape elsewhere.

                    All I can say is, get a life Gibson.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      I guess the idea here is probably not to gain sales, but to force competitors to lose sales.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        All I can say is, get a life Gibson.
                        From your lips to God's ears.


                        I guess the idea here is probably not to gain sales, but to force competitors to lose sales
                        You could say Gibson is trying to punish them, or dominate the market - but I prefer to think of it more cut throat, like a pro card player would think.
                        Their credo is "If you can't count, cut" - meaning if you can't make points, stop the other guy from making points.
                        Which would be dumb reason to sue, because the instrument market is not a game.


                        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

                          From your lips to God's ears.




                          You could say Gibson is trying to punish them, or dominate the market - but I prefer to think of it more cut throat, like a pro card player would think.
                          Their credo is "If you can't count, cut" - meaning if you can't make points, stop the other guy from making points.
                          Which would be dumb reason to sue, because the instrument market is not a game.

                          Agreed. I think even Gibson agrees it's a not a game. Rather a big enough business that at least has a chance of making worth their while, so anything goes. They're not making (enough) "points", so Plan B swings into action. But what do I know? I'm just speculating here without knowing much about big time business. But based on my limited knowledge this would be the only way their actions made sense.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Do we have any forum members near Sherman, Texas who could attend the trial and give us a report now and then? It's a small city of 40,000 not far from Oklahoma.
                            ICTGoober
                            Mojo's Minions
                            Last edited by ICTGoober; 05-13-2022, 09:31 AM.
                            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

                            Comment


                            • #44


                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                                This whole thing is quite senseless...even if Gibson wins every trademark or copyright infringement case they win NOTHING. Players these days will buy the instruments they like at the price they want to pay regardless of the body or headstock shape (Ibabez, Kramer, Fender, etc. are in business BECAUSE they don't look like Gibson at Gibson prices). Yes, there will always be some who will buy the name, and that is what keeps Gibson in the marketplace, but it's NOT because they can't buy that headstock or body shape elsewhere.

                                All I can say is, get a life Gibson.
                                On the other hand, if they don't go after these types of claims, their value goes down. It will be interesting to see how these cases progress.
                                Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X