No announcement yet.

Gibson v Dean trial to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am thinking Gibson can be more aggressive than Kahler, and survive the international lawsuit without going out of business. Y'all may be right, though...the goal here might not be to win over Dean, but to cost them a lot of money. I don't think Dean is in a great position as a company, either.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Bankruptcy might slow them down a little... Still - we can theorize all we want and accomplish nothing. In the meantime I hope for the best outcome in Dean's favor and await the verdict, however long that might take.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I think Gibson's strategy might backfire and cause a panic buying run on Deans in the near term. They would be better off finding ways to mark authentic Gibsons that isn't easily replicatable; like an embedded hologram serial number and/or encrypted microchip.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          or encrypted microchip.
          There is an RFID chip under the fretboard.

Comment

I want to re think my "emotional" position on this.

I think most people want the little guy to win. Big, bad Gibson is picking on a smaller brand. Gut reaction is to side with Dean.

But... I also want to underscore the importance of the ability to protect trademarks and intellectual property. Court cases like this are important. IP theft represents a large% of China's intellectual capital. It could be argued that their ability to copy western ingenuity is a major factor in geopolitical instability. They wouldn't even be sitting at the adult's table if they were unable to benefit from IP theft.

I cringe whenever I see someone buying a Chinese guitar dsp pedal which we all know incorporates algorithms stolen from western companies.

Comment

If super ******* Dean Zelinsky was still a part of Dean Guitars -I'd definitely be rooting for GIbson.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by piblock View Post
                Now that everyone has figured out how easy and cheap it is to order Chibsons from AliExpress and similar sites, it seems like the massive amount of fakes around would be more damaging to the company, both financially and in reputation. Addressing that would probably be a better use of their time and money.
                Gibson has been including a picture of the guitar on the workbench and a birthdate along with the case candy with their new guitars for a couple years now as a way to mark that it's a real Gibson. I think another intention is to give it some kind of prestige or pride of ownership for the recipient, which is just sort of funny to me.

"An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                  like an embedded hologram
                  Like the one on my 2015 SG? There's a factory in China making those to order

Comment

Originally posted by Cdwillis View Post

Gibson has been including a picture of the guitar on the workbench and a birthdate along with the case candy with their new guitars for a couple years now as a way to mark that it's a real Gibson. I think another intention is to give it some kind of prestige or pride of ownership for the recipient, which is just sort of funny to me.
                    Yeah I got the picture with my case candy. I keep it in my wallet next to the picture of the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Yeah I got the picture with my case candy. I keep it in my wallet next to the picture of the kids.

Nice, I have 2 Gibson's in my studio right now that are built since 2018 and are just incredible instruments -one is 2018 and pne is 2021

I guess people aren't ready to accept that companies can improve...

It was there customer service back 15 years ago that made me quit messing with them, and guess what -I bet they've improved that too.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I've got a 2021 Les Paul Tribute and it was impeccable. The only thing I didn't care for was the 490r/490t pickups, but I knew that going in because I hated those in my SG too. I think they did start turning things around a bit when HJ got replaced, but any goodwill they had from me is a bit tarnished already.
                        "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

Tokai has been making exact copy of LP, Strat and Tele for years and Gibson and Fender have done nothing about it.

Comment

Exact copies? That say Gibson and Fender? Thought not.
                            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post

Like the one on my 2015 SG? There's a factory in China making those to order
                              Is it the serial number and is it under the finish? Whatever the solution is, it needs to be embedded in a way that you'd have to destroy the guitar to get at it.

Comment

The serial number is stamped into the headstock, but the hologram of Les Paul himself is under the clearcoat.

I wouldn't put it psst those wiley Chinese to figure out how to stick a hologram under the clear too.

Comment

Working...
                                X