Gibson v Dean trial to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

On the other hand, if they don't go after these types of claims, their value goes down. It will be interesting to see how these cases progress.
    Yeah - but they can just raise prices.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Yeah - but they can just raise prices.
      Every time they raise prices, another company swoops in and offers instruments at their previous price points. It isn't enough to be top dog, you have to fight to keep that position.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What's interesting to me is the threshold of copycat design. Like okay so say Gibson wins and Dean has to modify a headstock shape but by how much?
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Gibson isn't going to win, just punish Dean with crippling legal bills and set precedent for future guitar companies treading in their space.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Every time they raise prices, another company swoops in and offers instruments at their previous price points. It isn't enough to be top dog, you have to fight to keep that position.
            Well, you just keep raising prices until you start calling yourself "Exclusive"

I agree - its a horrible business model for a mass manufacturer. Or as I have written - the "Icon" business model.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Gibson isn't going to win, just punish Dean with crippling legal bills and set precedent for future guitar companies treading in their space.
              Exactly what Modulus Graphite did in the 80's and 90's with their patent on carbon fiber necks. They sent me a cease and desist letter packed with threats just because I mentioned I'd like to make CF necks for my shop back in the 80's. My meager plans wouldn't have touched them in the lightest, but Jeff Gould took no chances. I still have a copy of their patent application in a file cabinet, and it's exceedingly broad and vague.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                I looked up the vid where he does the actual review... Ouch! If that cracked neck joint and botched paintjob is more common than 1 in a million, Gibson should really reconsider their operations and/or pricing

Comment

Now that everyone has figured out how easy and cheap it is to order Chibsons from AliExpress and similar sites, it seems like the massive amount of fakes around would be more damaging to the company, both financially and in reputation. Addressing that would probably be a better use of their time and money.

I had Epiphone Strat and Tele copies back in the 90s. I wonder what their stance is in those. I still have what started off life as an Epi Tele, but I took a chopsaw to it because I wanted to make it look more like a spaceship.

Comment

Now that everyone has figured out how easy and cheap it is to order Chibsons from AliExpress
                    It is ABSOLUTELY illegal to purchase, sell, or own any counterfeit instruments. PERIOD. US Customs, state and local law enforcement agencies take a dim view of them. When found, they destroy them.
                    Last edited by ICTGoober; 05-13-2022, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

I love it when people talking about ordering one of those counterfeits “just to see if it’s any good” and then claim that they aren’t doing anything to encourage the counterfeiting.
                      Anyone thinking about buying a Chibson Les Paul should just buy an IVY

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

It is ABSOLUTELY illegal to purchase, sell, or own any counterfeit instruments. PERIOD. US Customs, state and local law enforcement agencies take a dim view of them. When found, they destroy them.
                        Yes, but they don't seem to be making a dent. If Gibson wants to protect their brand, allocate resources to identify Chibson sales (like the polaris4music group on Facebook, I can't believe how brazen they are) and pass that info on to the appropriate authorities.

Comment

Originally posted by piblock View Post

Yes, but they don't seem to be making a dent. If Gibson wants to protect their brand, allocate resources to identify Chibson sales (like the polaris4music group on Facebook, I can't believe how brazen they are) and pass that info on to the appropriate authorities.
                          I bet they are aware of all the copies out there, but going after a company based in China that doesn't recognize US or even international laws might be even too expensive for Gibson.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

^Xi Jinping will boycott all exports of materials that go into Gibson guitars, as well as export of tubes...as if Russian tube shortage not painful enough. You don't want to mess with the Chinese...lol.

Comment

I bet they are aware of all the copies out there, but going after a company based in China that doesn't recognize US or even international laws might be even too expensive for Gibson.
                              Some of those bootleg guitar manufacturers are starting to set up shop in the Pacific Northwest and California. I have not seen them advertising Chibsons but I am sure they are fulfilling some of the overseas orders.

Comment

Gary Kahler spent his fortune chasing down all the Asian makers who copied (poorly) his designs during the late 80s and into the 90's. He sued them in their courts and eventually won. His company nearly folded, but he endured and has been enjoying success for the last 10 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X