Gibson v Dean trial to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post

Or like when they tried to make a Jimi Hendrix Gibson Strat...
    I remember seeing that in the store and laughing at it. I am guessing Fender rejected whatever the estate wanted.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• And for the record, I think the Epiphone Banana Headstock Teles and Strats are bargain buys (or were the last time I bought one) especially if you are just wanting the S or T sound for a song or two but not your main axe.

Comment

• Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
        And for the record, I think the Epiphone Banana Headstock Teles and Strats are bargain buys (or were the last time I bought one) especially if you are just wanting the S or T sound for a song or two but not your main axe.
        Yes, they were very cheap, badly set up guitars at the time.

Comment

• They had very little redeeming value. Plywood bodies, as I recall - horrid electronics, neck was no fun at all, hardware was crap.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

• Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Yes, they were very cheap, badly set up guitars at the time.
            I got the 3 of mine all second (or third,fourth, etc.) hand...thought the necks were pretty comfortable and for $100, pretty hard to beat.

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            They had very little redeeming value. Plywood bodies, as I recall - horrid electronics, neck was no fun at all, hardware was crap.
            Definitely not comparable to like a MIM Fender but for $100 range but at the time I was playing Gibson Les Pauls so having a super cheap Strat and Tele setup the way I like for less than $300 combined was a nice way to through the S&T sounds into my mix.

I do find it hypocritical of Gibson to sue other companies for things they do themselves...but that is business. Kinda like I'm sure most of the people on this forum would want DiMarzio to not enforce the double cream trademark but business is business.

Comment

• My dad was an Epiphone dealer in the 90s and I still have what started life as a T310. There may have been a manic episode and chop saw involved.

From what I remember, this thing new was well below the quality of Glarry type $100i-$150ish guitars you can buy now.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by piblock; 06-12-2022, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	gibson-u2-green-1989-cons-full-front.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	6179263.

Comment

• Now Gibson can funnel all of the super-stratish designs to Kramer, which they now own.

Comment

• And the saga continues....

Judge orders Dean to cease production of Gran Sport, Dean V and Dean Z guitars following Gibson trademark verdict | Guitar.com | All Things Guitar

Comment

• WTH????? There are other companies making V's. Gibson must have something against Dean.
                      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

• It isn't a good month at Dean guitars, I am guessing.

Comment

• I'm sure the pressure has been ratcheting up for awhile.

Comment

• If this was at Gibson, it wouldn't even make the news. $420,000 is what 3 maybe 4 custom shop Les Pauls?

Comment

• Originally posted by Securb View Post
                              If this was at Gibson, it wouldn't even make the news. $420,000 is what 3 maybe 4 custom shop Les Pauls?
                              Honestly, Dean can't afford to lose that much.

Comment

• Pull a Gibson, and reorganize under bankruptcy.

Comment

Working...
                                X