Shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping

How do y'all ship guitars? I've never shipped a guitar before so I'm a little nervous about overpaying the shipper and also about damage in transit voiding my return. I'm in Denver Colorado and the guitar is going to Rondo in New Hampshire. I will be using all the packing materials the guitar came in. UPS, Fedex, and USPS are all available.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

But no case, correct?
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Right. No case. It was pretty snug in its shipping box so I'll do my best to replicate what they did.
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face

Comment

I usually loosen the string tension a bit.

Take off trem arms or similar. These can usually go in a Ziploc and be taped inside the box lid once the guitar is securely packed in the box.

Then pad anything which might want to move around, for example strings, a trem bridge, etc. You want to ensure nothing is going to scratch the finish, fretboard, pickups, etc.

Wrap any plastic or thin foam back around it.

Somewhere here I will put extra bubble wrap around Gibson angled headstocks. But not so much that a hard strike will snap it.

After that it is packing it in the box, so the guitar itself will not move around. Movement is the enemy over the long distance.

Was it double boxed? If so, same thing. You want to pack the inside box in the outer, such that there is no movement there either.

Then be sure you insure it for full value when you ship. I know you are supposed to have 4-6 inches of protection around items, but I send and receive guitars that do not.

That probably covers what I do. Again you do not want it moving around, so you can add bubble wrap, those brown paper things, styrofoam peanuts, whatever it takes once it is protected and in the box.

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

OK thanks for the tips! Hopefully this thing will make it okay.

Comment

For guitars I find FexEx ground to have the best prices. However, this was a while ago so I can't speak to this as accurately as I would like to. I would imagine the prices also vary by zone.

Comment

I never ship my custom guitars without a case (included with the price of every guitar), mainly for the added protection that they give.

But otherwise, follow the recommendations of JamesPaul. Double box it for sure.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I forgot to note, also put FRAGILE stickers on the box.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                  I forgot to note, also put FRAGILE stickers on the box.
                  Sometimes that helps. Sometimes it just becomes a challenge to the delivery people to see how much damage they can do.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Sometimes that helps. Sometimes it just becomes a challenge to the delivery people to see how much damage they can do.
                    Like poking the bear. Lol

Comment

I will also add if you can find a bass guitar box use it. It gives you more room for padding.

Comment

Pucker up and pray -thats how!

Nah kidding

Even if in a case, a secondary box as a padded sarcophagus is the key to shipping guitar
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                          For guitars I find FexEx ground to have the best prices. However, this was a while ago so I can't speak to this as accurately as I would like to. I would imagine the prices also vary by zone.
                          FedEx has always been the best for me with everything from insect & reptiles to guitars. Besides I never like the way the UPS trucks are taking corners sidways and slamming on the brakes when they pull up. Then it sounds like a battle royale going on in the truck until the deliverer they steps out with your battered box.

Reason # whatever, FedEx paople are way personable & friendly.

Comment

Did anyone mention double-boxing it?

Comment

Double boxing is preferred if it doesn't have a case. Sounds like this is a return? If so, pack it exactly the way you received it. They should also provide a return label.

If you are paying and insuring it, most shippers "require" it to be double boxed to insure it (although a lot of online stores don't double box). As far as price, it's 2X what it used to be, so, you will overpay, it's the way of the world now. I usually use Fedex, but I work across the street from the distribution center (in Louisville, right up the street from you).

Comment

Working...
                              X