banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Rose - How many models are there and what are the differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose - How many models are there and what are the differences?

I’m confused on the Floyd Rose models and differences. For now let’s ignore the vaguely Floyd Rose inspired bridges like Ibanez, as well as the historical models etc. and just talk about currently available Floyd branded and licensed in the same form factor.

On the premium end I’m aware of:
    Original Floyd - made by Schaller
    Schaller version
    Gotoh 1996T

Then I’ve heard of the:
    Floyd Rose 1000
    Floyd Rose Special

What other versions exist and what are the differences? It seems like I’ve read here that an OFR and a 1000 only differ by a few parts, those of which you may upgrade anyway like the sustain block and string blocks?

Which ones come with the mid-level guitars as OEM, like the LTD, Jackson, EVH, etc.?

I own two Floyd’s, both are OFR. I’ve got a Sofia as well which is a different beast, but I’m still looking at LTD EC-1000T and Wolfgang’s and I’d like to know what’s the deal with the stock parts, and what may need to be upgraded.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

The 1000 and OFR are identical in material. The 1000 comes with steel saddles and proper sustain blocks, really nothing to upgrade there. The only differennce I noticed is that on the German made the saddles are a bit rounded, less "cubic" and some folks say that the screw threads are smoother. The 1000 series is what you get on 1000+ USD guitars (like Jaclson Pro series).

Corroborating my above info that the 1000 not inferior in performance and material is the fact Jeff Loomis' USA sig has a Korean Floyd too, the 1500 (which you havent listed). It is an 1000 series model with added stainless steel screws. He used this unit on his Schecters and can't be that bad if he went with the same on the Jacksons...

Now thenSpecial is a different story. Those come with pot metal saddles and sustain block. Serviceable, but the saddles will eventually give in. Actually you can ruin them with a single string change if you tighten string clamp screws like a mofo. But I've had pot metal saddles on cheapos with pot metal saddles works for years. But the basplate is still the same material as the other units, you for 100-150 USD you can a set of German saddles and a proper sustain block and it'll perform like it's big brothers.

There are some other models with different numbers, but as far as I know those mean different colors and nothing else.

Something that was new to me is that now you can actually buy 1000 and 1500 series units too, despite them being originally intended as OEM only and FR now even sells units pre-loaded with the Hollow Point intonation system.

Oh and almost forgot the Floyd Rose Pro, which comes with the low profile saddles, but those are disguszingly expensive and for no reason, methinks. Chris Broderick comes to mind who uses those.
    Last edited by nexion218; 05-21-2022, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Interesting that the FR Pro doesn't seem to come as an offering on guitars, you pretty much always see the original style.

There was also the short-lived Speedloader, which used special double-bullet ended strings. While it made string changes a breeze, you had to use special strings calibrated to an appropriate scale length. It tanked, though you can still use this bridge with Fender bullet strings if your guitar has regular tuners on the headstock. Metallurgy of the bridge is the same as the original style, afaik, and you can find them cheaper used.

Fernandes also made their own versions. They were in fact the first company to mass produce Floyd's locking bridge before he went to Schaller.

There are two Schaller types. The original licensed version, which has an cast baseplate with replaceable steel knives, brass block.

The Lockmeister, which seems to be identical to the OFR (milled plate etc.).

Kahler also made some knife edge double-lockers in the 80s – the Steeler, Killer and Spyder.

This website has loads of good info and pictures about FR history: https://vintagefloydrose.com.
      Originally posted by dominus
      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

The Floyd Rose 1000 series can only benefit from a collar/arm upgrade since the stock arm only has a pin for tension. I've felt no need to upgrade that myself though. The saddles and block are already proper hardened steel/nickel plated brass. The fine tuners work just as smooth as German OFR's after being used a few times. You are going to find these even on $2,500 dollar guitars

The Floyd Rose Special only needs saddles and block upgrades since they are both pot metal. You can buy the 1000 series saddles and trem block straight from FR for around $80. IMHO it's not necessary/beneficial to spend the extra on OFR ones. The trem arm is the same as the 1000 series, so could use an upgrade if you feel necessary.

Jackson is now using Jackson branded FR Specials on their lower end guitars like the JS series. Great move there.

EVH is using EVH branded FR 1000's

Kramer is now using FR Specials on their lower end guitars in place of their in house Schaller style ones they were using for a long time. These were the Schaller style ones w/thick cast/pot metal baseplate with steel knife edge inserts. Those thick baseplates can throw off some guitars upgrading to an OFR since the baseplates are thinner on an OFR. They use 1000's on everything else with an FR.

I wouldn't 2nd guess any guitar just because it comes with an FR Special and certainly never a 1000 series. Anything I ever buy with an FR style trem from here on out will have to have one or the other and nothing else.
        Last edited by Mr. 80's; 05-21-2022, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I compared a new, unused OFR with a new, unused Lockmeister in 2017, and came to the conclusion that they are identical except for the logo.
          Last edited by Sirion; 05-21-2022, 11:45 AM.

Comment

So what are the differences between the OFR and 1000? Arm/collar and a little extra machining time on saddles/plate? Is the 1000 supposed to be OEM only?
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              So what are the differences between the OFR and 1000? Arm/collar and a little extra machining time on saddles/plate? Is the 1000 supposed to be OEM only?
              Yep and yep. They recently started to sell the 1000 series too on their website though.

Comment

I remember the ad, but never personally tried the 'Killer Kahler'.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

FR Special guitar + $20 ofr tone block ftw.

Keep using the standard saddles until the break. Buy a replacement set of FRS saddles for $20, or upgrade to the 1000 series.

I have had nothing but good luck with FRS guitars. The block upgrade makes a noticable difference in tone. I like the standard OFR block better than the thick brass I tried. If I was gigging, I would def upgrade to 1000 saddles, or just buy a drop in ofr replacement. You don't want to deal with a broken saddle playing for an audience.

Comment

Many of the 1000 series (that I've had/seen) have imperfect bends and sometimes sharper (in a bad way) corners on the saddles and nuts.

Those little saddle placement(intonation) screws are also easier to round off, but I've had no issues with the threading itself, nor have I had any saddles, blocks, or block-lock/nut-locks go bad or bust.

That is one good thing about the 1500 series on my two Schecters, they have better quality stainless intonation screws and it looks like the factory might be picking out units with better bends to use for the 1500,,,,,or I just got lucky, or maybe they (ping?) have replaced their dyes or other machine parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                      Kahler also made some knife edge double-lockers in the 80s – the Steeler, Killer and Spyder.
                      I had a Spyder on a Peavey Vandenberg for a while and remember it working decently well. The biggest annoyance vis-a-vis an OFR was that there was some added string breakage, and since you didn't remove the ball ends the string was gone if you broke it.

Comment

Ok, I recently got an LTD with the 1000. I recognize the gritty fine tuners. Let’s see if they break in.

I’m considering a Special for a build due to an available finish. I’m thinking of swapping to a big brass block and rolling the dice on the saddles. Maybe updating to hardened inserts. Does that seem reasonable? Is the plate really the same on a Special?
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                          Is the plate really the same on a Special?
                          As far as I know (fr website info and word from my luthier who is an official FR distributor), yes. If it was any different, I doubt the knife edges would make it from the factory to the store in one piece... But you can put a magnet to it. If it sticks, its not pot metal.

Comment

Threads like this make me wish Darth was still around. He is an FR guru.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                              Threads like this make me wish Darth was still around. He is an FR guru.
                              You can find him out there pretty easily.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X