No announcement yet.

Locking nut quality and tuning stability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save the tail piece coming off the pegs of a tune-o-matic when you take off all the strings, they are great.

It's a shame Gibson wasn't as ingenious with its headstocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
      Save the tail piece coming off the pegs of a tune-o-matic when you take off all the strings, they are great.

I dropped that tailpiece on the top of my Dot hundreds of times before buying a damned tonepros with screws that keep it in place. Was seriously thinking of some sort of superglue solution for a while. :P
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Just looking at it you'd think it's all solid and one piece. Then thunk! There goes a chunk out of your finish. Would seem simpler just to machine it all out of one piece of metal.

Oh, and then there's the little rivalry between under and over string wrappers...

Comment

The funniest thing is, you don't have to worry about that with an Epiphone since the tail piece clips/locks in. I still prefer a Floyd though.

Comment

Gibson didn't invent the 3x3 angled headstock. And unless you're using hella whammy, there's nothing wrong with a crooked break angle if the nut is cut for it.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

Gibson didn't invent the 3x3 angled headstock. And unless you're using hella whammy, there's nothing wrong with a crooked break angle if the nut is cut for it.
              The problem with Gibson headstocks is how prone they are to snapping off. A volute would help.

I can't remember the last time I took all the strings off at once - even pickup changes don't need that, I just loosen the strings enough to slide the pickup out underneath. Floyds are super convenient that way, I have to say.
              Take it to the limit
              Everybody to the limit
              Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post

The problem with Gibson headstocks is how prone they are to snapping off. A volute would help.

I can't remember the last time I took all the strings off at once - even pickup changes don't need that, I just loosen the strings enough to slide the pickup out underneath. Floyds are super convenient that way, I have to say.
                I just pop the springs off the Floyd and pop it out. No need to unlock the nut or loosen the strings. Makes things far easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. 80's View Post

I just pop the springs off the Floyd and pop it out. No need to unlock the nut or loosen the strings. Makes things far easier.
                  Yup yup - I was talking about loosening the strings on my Tune O Matics, as opposed to taking them off completely. Now that I have the Floyd Pro blocked off, there will be no more popping out of springs, but on the upside it's way quicker to tune back up now.

Take it to the limit
                  Everybody to the limit
                  Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

I have a tendency to get the strings tangled if I just take the Floyd off. I prefer dropping the bar until the strings are loose and finessing the pickup out of the cavity. It's easier in the neck than the bridge.

And my comment was an allusion to the joke about Gibson headstocks breaking easily, especially after they fall over from leaning against a wall.

Comment

I have a tendency to get the strings tangled if I just take the Floyd off. I prefer dropping the bar until the strings are loose and finessing the pickup out of the cavity. It's easier in the neck than the bridge.

And my comment was an allusion to the joke about Gibson headstocks breaking easily, especially after they fall over from leaning against a wall.
                      When I remove my Floyd with the strings still on, I use some twist ties around the strings to keep them together, then painter's tape to hold the bridge out of the way and secured to the body.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post

I always take all the strings off at once to give the fretboard quick clean down . . . otherwise it gets really gross and grimy.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I always take all the strings off at once to give the fretboard quick clean down . . . otherwise it gets really gross and grimy.
                          I do the same. When it's time for a string change floating or decked all the strings come off for a good cleaning of the entire guitar. A decked Floyd is no issue at all restringing and getting back in tune quickly and easily. A Floating Floyd all is needed is blocking it level from the front or back before pulling the strings.

On the pulling the Floyd completely out with all the strings attached. I never had an issue with them getting tangled since they are still fixed/locked at both ends. I just pull it and set it off to the side away from the guitar. If anything I may wrap a sock around them to keep them from spreading apart all crazy but that's not always necessary. The great thing is you don't have to fight the strings and risk damaging the guitar and when you pop it back in it's all in tune and ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

That extra layer of filth makes my riffs sound heavier
                            Take it to the limit
                            Everybody to the limit
                            Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Yeah, I take them all off at the same time, too. Playing outside in the Florida humidity creates a special kind of filth.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X