Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the End: Orpheo Guitars is no more

If you don't mind, I'll just quote myself from Facebook

With a heavy heart I'm crawling behind the computer to write this post, because I have made a decision. A decision I have postponed for way too long.
    Sometimes you enter a relationship which is just not healthy. A bit of stress for a short while is okay but go on too long and you'll run into yourself sooner or later. I love making guitars, I truly do. But the stress that goes around running a company has taken its toll on my mind, my soul, my body, and more importantly: my patience and my personal life.
    I have made over 130 guitars completely by myself, which roam this planet. I have made close to 50 guitars with my former companion (who left Orpheo Guitars in 2017 for the exact same reason I'm throwing in the towel right now as well).
    This toxic relationship that I'm having with Orpheo Guitars has come to an end as of one week ago. Only now did the paperwork get through. I will sell off everything I own, every Orpheo Guitar that still exists in the demo room will be sold. I will put up a Reverb-store as well as make comments on this page about each guitar that I will sell (and believe me, there's a lot coming up!).
    Rest assured: I will finish every guitar and bass that's on the books! That being said, I am not sure if I'll ever go back to making guitars, but for now, I can tell you with certainty that I will accept no new orders for the foreseable future. Maybe I'll use everything I've learned and put that to good use when I relaunch the name "Orpheo Guitars" when my retirement is due. Maybe I'll just take away the lessons I learned and use those in my personal life.
    Life is a strange thing, you know. We didn't know that a silly "virus of unspecified origin" would take our lives, hostage, for the years that it has. I had no idea that I would ever get married when I started the company! But I have, and that puts a whole new perspective on life. Life isn't all about work and nothing but work and it shouldn't be.
    Life is too short for anger, for hatred. Life is also not long enough for no mischief whatsoever though! Make fun, have fun, but most importantly: Go to your loved ones. Hold them tight, tell them you love them.
    Thank you for all of your support over the last few years. But this. This is the end of the line for me. For now.
    Godspeed,

- Orpheo Custom Guitars/ Orpheo Guitar Design

It's no easy task running a business, especially in this industry. Best of luck to you in your next adventures. Don't be a stranger around here though. Your wealth of knowledge you have shared contributes greatly to this community.

Comment

So sorry to hear. Good that you are focusing on your marriage and life. That's most important. Family will outlast a job or everything else temporal in the world, and will be with you to the end of life. You do make beautiful guitars, though. I'm glad to have the one I have.

Comment

Sorry to hear about having to close doors, you have posted some beautiful guitars while Ive been here, with that said, you health, whether physical or mental is far more important. Hopefully this will help alleviate some of the stressors in your life. I know this is not easy for you and whatever adventures you head to next, good luck fine sir.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Sorry to hear man. You make some nice stuff.
          if there's one thing in life that's constant... It's change.
          Good luck in your next venture.
          https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

I'm sorry to hear this - you do some really great work. The guitar that I got from you is an outstanding instrument, with a lot of cool little touches. You've got to do what's best for your mental and physical health, and I wish you all the best going forward!
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I completely understand. I wish you nothing but the best of luck for the future!
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Good luck, I gonna miss drooling over the new builds you post.

Comment

The best is yet to come.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Letting go isn't easy, especially when you've invested all your time & attention into a business for years.
                    It can be bittersweet; I felt much the same when I closed my second (and last) recording studio.

Congratulations, Orpheo. I salute the courage it took to finally make the decision.
                    However fulfilling your work, allowing it to consume you is unhealthy - mentally and physically.

There's nothing like a new wife to show you how much more there is to be had from this life.
                    I guarantee you'll both be happier without the business always demanding all your energies.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Good words of wisdom about life and love (and fun).

Thanks Orpheo, you're a good man and you make/made really good guitars. But know that your guitars have made many people happier than they would have been without them. And your wife will appreciate your time that would have been in the shop.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

While it's sad to hear your setting up shop it's good to hear you're taking steps to make your life a happier, less stressful one. Wish you all the best and hope you continue to post here.
                        "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

We should have seen this coming. Selling handmade guitars of 3k a piece to niche market with limited growth potential is not sustainable in the long run.

If you aren't mass producing guitars out of China, Indonesia and now Vietnam, you won't last long.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_X00RD mit Tapatalk

Comment

I look forward to updates on future adventures!
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                              We should have seen this coming. Selling handmade guitars of 3k a piece to niche market with limited growth potential is not sustainable in the long run.

If you aren't mass producing guitars out of China, Indonesia and now Vietnam, you won't last long.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_X00RD mit Tapatalk
                              I know, right. It's a shame that PRS didn't last. I really liked those guitars (not their cheap crappy Far Eastern SE line).
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X