Michael Kelly 59 Thinline (Tele)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Kelly 59 Thinline (Tele)

Ran into a MK Thinline style Tele with P-90's in it for peanuts, $300 I think it was, pretty sure I am going to grab one next week. I always thought they made gaudy, overwrought kind of stuff but this was nice, utilitarian and clean. Made in Vietnam, notes really popped of this thing.

My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Are these being made currently, or is this an older model?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

brandy new
      My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Harley Benton and IYV have similar models, both made in Viet Nam. They probably come from the same factory. Based on a single guitar, I'm extremely impressed with IYV. If you can deal with some finish (not fit) issues, it's downright stupid how much guitar you get for the money.

Comment

Yeah I would absolutely believe that there is a factory cranking stuff out for multiple companies.

I was at Sam Ash today and they had 2 of them. I would say just from my brief encounter with it I would replace the bridge for something a bit more substantial but there didn't seem to be any real quality issues that jumped out at me. I'd probably throw some trons in it and make it a Cabronita
          My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Have got a Harley Benton DC that's really great. Good resonant wood, but prep for flawed finish and sloppy paintjobs.

Comment

Nice Thinline. I've always liked several of the MK guitars. Especially, the Patriot, after I got to work on one and feel it in my hands. Good guitar.

Comment

I've worked on a couple Michael Kelly's for a local store. Very nice stuff, IMHO. Of course, the electronics could use an upgrade but the bones of the guitars are just fine.
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Yeah, I agree that MK makes some very good guitars. Like Artie, I have also been impressed with the Patriot. I came VERY close to buying one once.
                  Also, I recently got an IYV and am extremely impressed with that guitar for the money (less than $200)! Definitely some minor finish problems, mostly regarding the binding but other than that it's a super nice playing and sounding guitar (it's a Gibson 175 copy.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                    Of course, the electronics could use an upgrade . . .
                    Yup. That's exactly what I was doing with the one I worked on. Replaced everything, including the pups.

Comment

Working...
                    X