Can't Put It Off Any Longer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Having never tried Super 70s, what's their thing?
    They are thick, with great mid-range, and very articulate. The touch sensitivity is spectacular. They take to gain very well. Here is a track I recorded years back with a Super 70.

Comment

Wow, very awesome! I have to try these.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
        The only downside is the imperial/metric mismatch with non-USA guitars...
        Too big or too small? It would be a shame to have to change my knob covers, but needs be as the devil drives or whatever the hell that phrase means, I can probably get some speed knobs that don't look awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post

Too big or too small? It would be a shame to have to change my knob covers, but needs be as the devil drives or whatever the hell that phrase means, I can probably get some speed knobs that don't look awful.
          For Imperial pots to fit you'll need to widen the mounting holes a little bit.
          I've done this to several guitars with a hand reamer; I feel that's safer than a drill.
          And you'll need US spec knobs too of course.

If you don't want to, you can also replace the old ones with import spec pots.
          I believe one or two of the better manufacturers do make them, though not AFAIK in a tight tolerance version.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Cool old 2350 . These have maple necks, fwiw.

There are probably some pu makers out there which make their own version of the Super 70 - worth checking out without forking out $$ for originals.

Maybe putting an A8 into a 59b will give you a pseudo-Super 70 as well.
            Originally posted by dominus
            Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Parts have been procured or are on their way; Mayhem set, SD pots, Switchcraft toggle, locking tuners...

The output jack looks somewhat new, but I'm thinking it should also be replaced so I know that all the contained parts are the same "age".

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post

Ah, sorry, didn't check the thread... But like eclecticsynergy said: they need a rad wider hole. But I had no issues putting back the original import knobs though!

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Ah, sorry, didn't check the thread... But like eclecticsynergy said: they need a rad wider hole. But I had no issues putting back the original import knobs though!
                  All good. I guess I'll see when they get here.

Comment

But, why do you want to spend all the time and money on a guitar that's backwards?
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Having never tried Super 70s, what's their thing?
                      Van Halen Destroyer....

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Dennis View Post

Van Halen Destroyer....
                        Name me some tunes...I am not up on what guitars EVH used for which song.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          But, why do you want to spend all the time and money on a guitar that's backwards?
                          It's like the ghost of Yakov Smirnoff is haunting the forum.

Comment

Jamie's Cryin' and RWTD are 2 examples

Comment

The teardown has commenced. I just realised that this guitar is now 45 years old.

Which makes this rebuild its mid-life crisis.

New parts arriving through next week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	45teardown.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	6185331

Comment

Any of the songs without a whammy on the first album, such as You Really Got Me.

Comment

Working...
                                X