Can't Put It Off Any Longer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Put It Off Any Longer...

Making plans to bring this back to almost new...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	scratch.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	6179682
    The pots at the moment have two positions, off or full, and they SCRATCH all the way from 0 to 10, which means they have to go. So I'll be taking the opportunity to just start over electronics-wise, everything must go, pots, switch, all the wiring in-between. And changing the pickups while I'm at it, thinking a pair of Distortions.

It's a slightly different guitar to what's shown in the video, so maybe it will have a similar sound, maybe it won't, who knows?

I do know the tuners on this are excellent, I pulled it out last night to remind myself what's on there. I forgot to look at the brand, but it was still in tune from the last time I played it, which was some time last year. But I am thinking of switching them for locking tuners, a slight indulgence since these are fine, but I'd love for string changes to be quicker because I hate doing it.

The end goal is to get this out of its case more, hopefully bringing it back to its "original" glory will help with that.

Those Ibanez LP copies with the "rabbit head" inlay are pretty collectible these days, so if you can - keep the original parts. Even those "Star" tuners are worth around $300 a set in good working order.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      Those Ibanez LP copies with the "rabbit head" inlay are pretty collectible these days, so if you can - keep the original parts. Even those "Star" tuners are worth around $300 a set in good working order.
      I'm the third owner of this guitar (that I know of), the Star tuners (if this guitar ever had them), the Super 70 pickups, original stop bar and bridge are long gone.

Comment

Super 70's are very collectible, too. I hope someone who loves them is using them. Drive on with your project, and keep us informed!
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Wow, a very cool guitar! Post pics of the progress, too!
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a similar MIJ - a '77 Greco - and it sounds glorious with the Distortion set in it.
            I do need to replace its old pots though. They work, but they're loose & scratchy.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
              I have a similar MIJ - a '77 Greco - and it sounds glorious with the Distortion set in it.
              I do need to replace its old pots though. They work, but they're loose & scratchy.
              Good to get a heads up on the Distortions. It's just a shame that the cash conversion means I'm paying almost double here.

And then there's the rough estimate I did of the overhaul, I'll end up paying almost the same as I paid for the guitar originally. But I can weigh that up against a brand new Les Paul and doing it this way means saving SO much money.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                Super 70's are very collectible, too. I hope someone who loves them is using them. Drive on with your project, and keep us informed!
                Well this is good to know, I have three of them in a Destroyer. Think I'll keep them, they're ggggggrrrrreat.

Other than all upside down and backwards, that is a really nice guitar.

Comment

Having never tried Super 70s, what's their thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Well Mr. Mincer, other than old school Batman Kapows and Blams, I suck at describing sound. But I just find them to be a very well rounded, smooth, P.A.F style pickup. When distorted,I find they are good and clear through pretty much low to high. I just find them to be a very comfortable pick up to play. They aren't overwhelming, they aren't underpowered and just have a note clarity that I enjoy.

Comment

If they are the original pots on/off was basically their taper. I can't recommend the SD branded Bourns pots enough, a few bucks extra but so worth it if you use your knobs. The roll off is great and consistent between pots. Regular Bourns are very good as well but the SD's just seem to work a little better.

I love the old Ibby LP's I have had a couple, they were excellent guitars.

https://www.reproguitarparts.com/ if you need any specific parts for it

My Bands -
                      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post

Well Mr. Mincer, other than old school Batman Kapows and Blams, I suck at describing sound. But I just find them to be a very well rounded, smooth, P.A.F style pickup. When distorted,I find they are good and clear through pretty much low to high. I just find them to be a very comfortable pick up to play. They aren't overwhelming, they aren't underpowered and just have a note clarity that I enjoy.

Sounds like I'd dig them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post

Good to get a heads up on the Distortions. It's just a shame that the cash conversion means I'm paying almost double here.

And then there's the rough estimate I did of the overhaul, I'll end up paying almost the same as I paid for the guitar originally. But I can weigh that up against a brand new Les Paul and doing it this way means saving SO much money.
                          Well worth it - you're not getting a brand new guitar, you're getting a new guitar with decades of mojo.
                          My Greco:

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            It's a fairly light PAF wind (7.6K neck/8K bridge I think) but loaded with A8 mags.
                            Full and smooth, with sparkle - great sounding pickups.
                            I like them much better that the T-tops Gibson was using back then.

Before PAF types came back into fashion you could score a pair of Super 70s for about $50.
                            As with T-tops, they're now collectible and bring pretty high prices.

EDIT: Pretty sure Super 80s were the same wind but with ceramics.
                            Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 06-17-2022, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                              If they are the original pots on/off was basically their taper. I can't recommend the SD branded Bourns pots enough, a few bucks extra but so worth it if you use your knobs. The roll off is great and consistent between pots. Regular Bourns are very good as well but the SD's just seem to work a little better.

I love the old Ibby LP's I have had a couple, they were excellent guitars.

https://www.reproguitarparts.com/ if you need any specific parts for it
                              +1 for the SD baranded pots. Each one I have is within +/-2 % tolerance. The only downside is the imperial/metric mismatch with non-USA guitars...

Comment

Working...
                              X