No announcement yet.

NGD x2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, for me, it's no big deal. I do prefer the 60's neck, but it's not like the 50's is uncomfortable. I wouldn't have bought the 1959 otherwise, LOL.

TBH, the only necks I have trouble with and avoid are V-shaped necks and/or 10" or rounder fretboards.

I used to have a PRS SE with the Wide Fat neck. Honestly, that neck was about the limit of what I find tolerable. Then again, I wouldn't buy another PRS with that neck profile.

Comment

Very nice man! The Black Winter in an LP is magical for me.
      I really like them.

Congrats! X 2
      https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
        Very nice man! The Black Winter in an LP is magical for me.
        I really like them.

Congrats! X 2
        I haven't tried a Black Winter in any guitar and disliked it, TBH. I had it in my old LTD EC, Ibanez RGA, and PRS SE. It sounded the worst on the PRS, but that guitar wasn't all that great sounding to begin with. But every other guitar I've had it in, it DESTROYS. I love the EQ curve, feel, and output of that pickup. IMO, it's the best things from the JB, Distortion, and Invader merged into a single pickup.

Comment

Quick update: I got to spend some in-depth time with the Burstbucker 2 and 3 pickups in the 1959... yeah, they just don't work for me, LOL. Don't get me wrong, they're great as far as PAF pickups go, but I just don't feel they're all that suited for the tone I'm after. Maybe if I build a whole new preset on my HX Stomp around them, but they definitely don't just drop into one of my existing presets. Even if I do build around them, the low-end is a bit too Alnico 2-ish for my taste.
          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-19-2022, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Now that's a nice pair!
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              Actually got them a couple of weeks apart, but hadn't posted them yet!

First is the Epiphone Les Paul Standard 1959. I got this one last week, but it came in today. Plays amazing. Not a huge fan of the baseball bat neck, but the action is nice and low and the acoustic tone is to die for. I'm guessing the fat neck has to do with that. It's really fat and loud-sounding with just the nice amount of zing. I had both setup by the store I got them from, so I never got to try if this one had high frets, but they definitely left it playing great, LOL. I intend to make some mods to it, though. I've already got a DiMarzio X2N for the bridge position, and I want to change the bridge and tailpiece for Gotoh (bridge with brass saddles, aluminum tailpiece). I also want to order a DiMarzio Super 2 for the neck.

Next, my favorite of the two. The Les Paul Custom. I initially got this one, and took it home to find out it had some pretty bad high fret issues. No biggie, took it back to the store, and they sorted it out. Now it plays amazing. This one is a little quieter acoustically, but equally as fat-sounding. I've already started the mods for this one. It's got a Graphtech Resomax bridge, a Black Winter in the bridge, and a Distortion Neck in the neck. Still waiting on a set of Gotoh locking tuners and aluminum tailpiece for it, though.

Overall, I'm happy. I'm impressed with the quality of Epiphones these days. After some fret leveling, they definitely stack up no problem to the LTD's I'm used to playing.
              Just some classic Les Paul Goodness there!

Put some Pearly Gates in that Tobacco, and a Distortion set in the custom, and you've pretty got all music ever created covered, in style!

Alternates
              - Double Cream Super D and PAF in the Tobacco
              - PG Custom in the Custom
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Quick update: I got to spend some in-depth time with the Burstbucker 2 and 3 pickups in the 1959... yeah, they just don't work for me, LOL. Don't get me wrong, they're great as far as PAF pickups go, but I just don't feel they're all that suited for the tone I'm after. Maybe if I build a whole new preset on my HX Stomp around them, but they definitely don't just drop into one of my existing presets. Even if I do build around them, the low-end is a bit too Alnico 2-ish for my taste.
                It can be a real balancing act to get various different guitars to work well without having to reset your rig. I have done a fair amount of pickup swapping to bring my favorite guitars to a point where they interact with my amps consistently yet still retain their individual character in terms of tone, feel, and touch sensitivity.

I too couldn't ever get Burstbucker bridges to work without having to tweak especially for the guitars. I love the BB neck but the bridge just wouldn't do for me. It didn't help that my remaining set were in a Les Paul with a brighter voice than my other LPs. The BBs were harsh and scratchy at settings where other guitars loaded with PAF types sound wonderful.

Of course they could be made to sound great through an amp dialed in specifically for them; if this were my primary axe I could definitely make it work. Even so, to my ear they are on the bright/thin side of vintage crisp. I have A3 PAFs that sound warmer and fuller.

Not saying I don't like them, just that in practical terms I can't use 'em in conjunction with other guitars.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Just some classic Les Paul Goodness there!

Put some Pearly Gates in that Tobacco, and a Distortion set in the custom, and you've pretty got all music ever created covered, in style!

Alternates
                  - Double Cream Super D and PAF in the Tobacco
                  - PG Custom in the Custom
                  The Custom I already put a Black Winter in the bridge and a Distortion Neck in the neck, LOL. So great minds think alike!

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

It can be a real balancing act to get various different guitars to work well without having to reset your rig. I have done a fair amount of pickup swapping to bring my favorite guitars to a point where they interact with my amps consistently yet still retain their individual character in terms of tone, feel, and touch sensitivity.

I too couldn't ever get Burstbucker bridges to work without having to tweak especially for the guitars. I love the BB neck but the bridge just wouldn't do for me. It didn't help that my remaining set were in a Les Paul with a brighter voice than my other LPs. The BBs were harsh and scratchy at settings where other guitars loaded with PAF types sound wonderful.

Of course they could be made to sound great through an amp dialed in specifically for them; if this were my primary axe I could definitely make it work. Even so, to my ear they are on the bright/thin side of vintage crisp. I have A3 PAFs that sound warmer and fuller.

Not saying I don't like them, just that in practical terms I can't use 'em in conjunction with other guitars.
                    It's gotten to the point where the Burstbuckers are uninspiring, though. I don't remember the Burstbucker Pros I tried in the past being this way. Maybe I'm just not jiving with the Alnico 2 magnets.

Comment

It's gotten to the point where the Burstbuckers are uninspiring, though. I don't remember the Burstbucker Pros I tried in the past being this way. Maybe I'm just not jiving with the Alnico 2 magnets.
                      When you're accustomed to A5, an A2 really is quite a different animal.
                      There's good reason why for many years nearly all available humbuckers were A5 - and why so many still are.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

X2N for the 1959 is here! Still waiting on the Super 2 and aluminum tailpiece for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2022-06-20 at 11.04.03 AM.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	6180612

Comment

BTW, does anyone have any suggestin for a bridge replacement for the 1959? I would go for the Graphtech Resomax, but I love trying out new stuff. I'm thiking Gotoh or TonePros?

Comment

Working...
                          X