NGD x2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD x2!

Actually got them a couple of weeks apart, but hadn't posted them yet!

First is the Epiphone Les Paul Standard 1959. I got this one last week, but it came in today. Plays amazing. Not a huge fan of the baseball bat neck, but the action is nice and low and the acoustic tone is to die for. I'm guessing the fat neck has to do with that. It's really fat and loud-sounding with just the nice amount of zing. I had both setup by the store I got them from, so I never got to try if this one had high frets, but they definitely left it playing great, LOL. I intend to make some mods to it, though. I've already got a DiMarzio X2N for the bridge position, and I want to change the bridge and tailpiece for Gotoh (bridge with brass saddles, aluminum tailpiece). I also want to order a DiMarzio Super 2 for the neck.

Next, my favorite of the two. The Les Paul Custom. I initially got this one, and took it home to find out it had some pretty bad high fret issues. No biggie, took it back to the store, and they sorted it out. Now it plays amazing. This one is a little quieter acoustically, but equally as fat-sounding. I've already started the mods for this one. It's got a Graphtech Resomax bridge, a Black Winter in the bridge, and a Distortion Neck in the neck. Still waiting on a set of Gotoh locking tuners and aluminum tailpiece for it, though.

Overall, I'm happy. I'm impressed with the quality of Epiphones these days. After some fret leveling, they definitely stack up no problem to the LTD's I'm used to playing.
    Attached Files

BTW, the stock pickups are fine, I guess. The stock Probuckers in the Custom were usable, just too weak, scooped, and plinky for what I'm looking for. The stock Burstbuckers in the 1959 are definitely an improvement in the clarity department, but still not what I'm after, so I'm getting myself some firebreathers to make these guitars sound the way I want my Les Pauls to sound, LOL.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-17-2022, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Nice. I love a fat neck myself.

Did the Resomax bridge make a difference to the tone - more brightness? or fuller lows?
      And does it deliver more output as promised? Also, did it increase the sustain noticeably?

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Now that's a nice pair!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
          Nice. I love a fat neck myself.

Did the Resomax bridge make a difference to the tone - more brightness? or fuller lows?
          And does it deliver more output as promised? Also, did it increase the sustain noticeably?

Yes, it did make a difference. I noticed the guitar was definitely louder acoustically, and it had more high-mid bite and less low-mid clutter. Can't tell about the sustain for sure. But it definitely did make a pretty noticeable difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Now that's a nice pair!
            Thanks, man! I've always wanted a Les Paul. Well, now I got two, LOL. Sorta.

Comment

Those are two beauties. I love the thick necks on my Les Pauls. The sustain is amazing and the tone is so full. Don't think about it and after a while you won't even notice the thickness.

Comment

Congratulations! Great pair of guitars. I love a chunky neck, so I appreciate the '59 neck profile.I'm guessing the neck on the Custom is a '60s slim taper?

Did you get a lifton-style case with the '59 LP?
                "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post
                  Congratulations! Great pair of guitars. I love a chunky neck, so I appreciate the '59 neck profile.I'm guessing the neck on the Custom is a '60s slim taper?

Did you get a lifton-style case with the '59 LP?
                  The neck profile on Epiphones is weird. Many people complain about them being "D-shaped". They definitely don't come off like that to me, especially since I'm no stranger to Ibanez necks. But they're not as round as their Gibson counterparts either. They're more of a "U" shape rather than "C", IMO. So yes, the Custom has the 60's neck. It's thinner, but not quite as thin as the Thin U in my LTD's.

I didn't get the case. Custom was brand new, but the 1959 was a demo model, so I got a good deal on it. Part of the deal, though, was that I didn't get the case. No biggie. The store threw in a gig bag, and I prefer gig bags since I don't really gig and don't need the added protection, LOL.

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                  Those are two beauties. I love the thick necks on my Les Pauls. The sustain is amazing and the tone is so full. Don't think about it and after a while you won't even notice the thickness.
                  Thanks, man! I don't mind the fat neck, actually. I just prefer thinner necks for sure. I feel more at home with them. But you're right, the neck is probably part of why it sounds so good acoustically.

Comment

I've always felt a fat neck adds a little something to the sustain, and the tone as well.
                    There are exceptions of course, every piece of wood being a little different.
                    But in general I've found it to be true.

I'm convinced long tenons help the sustain too, on guitars that have it - though IMO that doesn't affect tone.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

So the tuners and aluminum tailpiece for the Custom came in today... except the locking tuners are non-locking! LOL, the seller screwed up. Oh well, they're still nice enough, and they look super classy on the headstock, so I'm just going to stick with them and get the difference refunded. And man, what difference does a quality bridge/tailpiece setup does to the tone!

Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2022-06-18 at 2.45.50 PM.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	6180206

Comment

NIce guitars. Baseball bat necks result in better sounding instruments IME, but yeah, you have to get used to them.

Comment

Not always! I used to have a PRS SE with the WIde Fat neck that sounded super thin and weak, and my old Ibanez Prestige RGA has been one of the best-sounding guitars I've had!

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                            Not always! I used to have a PRS SE with the WIde Fat neck that sounded super thin and weak, and my old Ibanez Prestige RGA has been one of the best-sounding guitars I've had!
                            I was talking in regards to Les Pauls but yes it is not a hard and fast rule.

Comment

Ahh, I like the smaller necks.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X