No announcement yet.

No More Nut Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some guys dig bone, some tusk, some brass, some compensated, some locking nuts, some roller nuts...

If this is your bag, then go forth and dig it.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I’ll take an LSR, graphite, or bone nut. Corian isn’t bad either. It’s what’s on my Les Paul and I rounded off the back outside edges of the G and D slots. No more hang ups. Stays in tune great.

Comment

I've had Stew Mac files, gauge sticks and analog (not the digital one shown there) nut depth thingy for some time, but that Safe Slot Nut Guard caul they didn't have back then.

Looks like I'm getting a new tool!
        Last edited by LLL; 06-21-2022, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Nobody's mentioned the biggest problem - you're stuck with a metal nut.
          So open strings will be twice as bright as fretted notes.

I can deal with metal on my Floyds for the sake of tuning stability.
          But I tried (and quickly gave up on) metal nuts during the brass fad back in the 70s.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
            Wouldn't it depend on what the metal is made of? Like . . . your frets are made of metal too . . .

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Wouldn't it depend on what the metal is made of? Like . . . your frets are made of metal too . . .

Comment

I only use NOS tone metal from the '60s.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

I can deal with metal on my Floyds for the sake of tuning stability.
                  But I tried (and quickly gave up on) metal nuts during the brass fad back in the 70s.
                  I bet eventually they can make the 'screws' out of other materials.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I bet eventually they can make the 'screws' out of other materials.
                    I've seen titanium versions of this

Comment

I like the concept--was thinking of something similar on my last build (couldn't get the low E and A to cooperate while the other 4 were perfect) and thought it would be handy to have a individual adjustable nuts like the saddles of a Strat.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Tone is in the MTLZ!
                        Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                        https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

The 80s solved this problem. A nut never gets better than locking the string, everything else is objectively inferior.
                          Except that a compensated bone nut is objectively superior.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                            Except that a compensated bone nut is objectively superior.
                            lol

Comment

Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The 80s solved this problem. A nut never gets better than locking the string, everything else is objectively inferior.
                                If it sits at a non optimal height it isn't doing much good for playability.

Comment

Working...
                                X