No More Nut Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No More Nut Files

Throw your nut files away cuz this thing is the wave of the future.

But seriously, very cool concept but never tried one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	61qTO3xkDcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.1 KB ID:	6180843

No, it's not. Not even close. I've had clients ask me to remove them and fab up a proper bone nut.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I think I've seen those before. Could be really cool if you change gauges often.

Two things I wonder about with this design:
      1. The slots appear to be all gauged for the thickest possible string - I would expect the high B and E to move around a bit in the slot?
      2. The screws aren't angled back (even though the wood around it is), so the string would be resting across the length of the head, rather than just breaking over a specific pivot point of the nut. I would think the screws should be angled back toward the tuners so that the string just breaks over the forward part of the head so you get a nice, free vibration of the string.

Like maybe the base of it needs to be sanded a bit to tilt the nut slightly, then the front face also sanded to put it back in the correct position.

Comment

I put one of those on a Les Paul Custom. In 1983.

Comment

I am thinking something like that could be designed better. I just say go with a zero fret on everything.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The 80s solved this problem. A nut never gets better than locking the string, everything else is objectively inferior.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              The 80s solved this problem. A nut never gets better than locking the string, everything else is objectively inferior.
              Love my LSR roller nuts I will take them over a locking nut any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Love my LSR roller nuts I will take them over a locking nut any day.
                LSRs are decent too - probably the best non-locking design. Properly oiled and spinning freely, they're almost as good.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I've found locking tuners with a properly made nut to work better for me than locking nuts.

Comment

I think some peeps are missing the main point of the design:

Adjustable nut slot heights.

(no more "blowing your nut" (huh huh huh) when slotting the nut with files... cutting too deep and ruining it)

The design could be refined; no doubt.

Comment

Adjustable nut slot heights
                      It's a half-assed solution.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I dig the LSR nut, too. I used one on my Warmoth build last year and it was my first experience with them. Super easy to install and set the height.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I honestly have never had a problem with nut height. Maybe once on an acoustic.

I have like 30+ guitars. Not saying it isn't an issue, and for the tinkers out there cool. But its a solution for a problem I don't have. And heaven't had...

Small note - as I have been taking an extremely deep dive into the guitar stylings of Mr. Frehley of late, and playing the bejeezus out of my Christine, I have noticed that in true Gibson fashion, my Budokan can hang up on the 3rd string (shocked and surprised!!!). So I approached it from the time honored tradition of using a wound D string pulled through at an angle to "take the edges" off the corners. Smooth as butter, no hang ups now, no files needed.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

It's a half-assed solution.
                            It solves a problem I don't have

Comment

These are your friends

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Working...
                              X